Quran Teachings about Spiritual Guide
In the Holy Quran Allah says:
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللّٰہَ وَ ابۡتَغُوۡۤا اِلَیۡہِ الۡوَسِیۡلَۃَ۔
Meaning: O believers! Fear Allah persistently and find medium to get close to Him. (Al-Maidah-35)
In this verse the word medium ( وَسِیۡلَۃَ ) refers to a perfect spiritual guide. According to Arabic dictionary, medium (waseela وَسِیۡلَۃَ ) means such source or means through which one can reach ones destination. Moreover, it should be so helpful that all the needs of the needy are fulfilled. Thus, he gets absolute satisfaction by obtaining all goals of his life.
Lissan-ul-Arab (volume II-page 725) defines medium as “by means of which closeness to some other thing is achieved”.
Definition of Medium
According to sharia, medium means to find closeness to Allah through a person who is beloved of Allah. Furthermore, it refers to the one who has travelled the mystic path and knows its ups and downs. In mysticism, such person is Murshid or spiritual guide. Therefore, a true spiritual guide is the one who knows the way to Allah perfectly. Moreover, he has the Oneness and now is fully capable to guide the common people towards Allah. A perfect Murshid saves his devotees from the satanic illusions. Moreover, he gives protection against inciting innerself. In addition, he makes them pass through all the obstacles easily.
Therefore, now the above-mentioned will be as “O believers find a perfect spiritual guide to reach Allah”.
Condition for Beneficence of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad
Invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad lead to Allah. But it is compulsory to invoke and contemplate under the guidance of a spiritual guide.
Logic behind the need of Spiritual Guide
Whenever, someone travels to unknown destination, he does seek guidance. For example, just like a person who wants to learn a lesson or a skill, he consults an instructor. Similarly, path of Faqr is unknown to the people. Therefore, one must seek guidance from knower of this path.
Satan frightens people from path of Faqr
Moreover, Satan is enemy of humans who lays ambush to stop people from Allah. In the Holy Quran Allah says:
اَلشَّیۡطٰنُ یَعِدُکُمُ الۡفَقۡرَ وَ یَاۡمُرُکُمۡ بِالۡفَحۡشَآءِ
Meaning: Satan forbids you to (join the way of) Faqr (as it will take you close to Allah). (Satan) enjoins you to commit indecent acts. (Al Baqarah-268)
Hadiths about Spiritual Guide
So, the seeker of Allah needs a Murshid who grants invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. As Holy Prophet said:
اَلرَّفِیْقُ ثُمَّ الطَّرِیْقُ
Meaning: Find a companion first and then set on a journey.
In fact, A Murshid Kamil is a guide, a teacher and a companion to his disciple. Therefore, he can save a devotee from satanic temptations and illusions of the nafs. In this ways, he takes devotee to the destination. In short, without a Murshid Kamil, no matter, how pious a person is, can never have (Marifat) gnosis of Allah. Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said:
مَنْ لَّاشَیْخَ یَتَّخِذُہُ الشَّیْطَان
Meaning: Satan verily guides the one who does not follow a spiritual guide.
As evident from above-mentioned Hadith, the one who does not seek guidance from Murshid; in fact, he seeks guidance from Satan.
Spiritual Guide is like a Physician
The spiritual guide is also like a physician. Therefore, he cures the spiritual diseases like lust, vanity, greed, wile, malice, hypocrisy, haughtiness, arrogance etc. Consequently, he purify the soul of seeker for the journey of the path of Faqr without arduousness.
Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo (ra) says:
- Allah is concealed in the being of man just as the actual fruit is hidden inside the peal. Spiritual guide blesses the seeker with Divine presence in a moment. In this way, grants him the station of vision of Allah. Ultimately, he never gets away from Allah whether it is a realm of life or death. (Nur-ul-Huda)
اللہ اللہ کرنے سے اللہ نہیں ملتا
یہ اللہ والے ہیں جو اللہ سے ملا دیتے ہیں
Meaning: You cannot find Allah just by physical devotion. You need guidance by someone who has already found Allah.
Prophet Moses sought spiritual guidance from Prophet Jethro
اگر کوئی شعیبؑ آئے میسر
شبانی سے کلیمیؑ دو قدم ہے
Meaning: If you could find some spiritual guide just like Prophet Moses found Prophet Jethro (Prophet Shoaib). Then you can easily become Kaleem (one who speaks with Allah) from a shepherd, like Prophet Moses.
Allah instructs to find Spiritual Guide accomplished in Invocation
Moreover, Allah emphasizes in Quran to find a perfect spiritual guide accomplished in invocation (zikr).
فَسۡـَٔلُوۡۤا اَہۡلَ الذِّکۡرِ اِنۡ کُنۡتُمۡ لَا تَعۡلَمُوۡنَ۔
Meaning: If you do not know (the way to Allah) then ask those who are accomplished in invocation. (Al-Anbiya-7)
Here, Allah has not ordered to find religious scholars. In fact, knowledge possesses many different perspective of one thing. That is why only religious knowledge results in sectarianism. For example, every religious scholar interprets the religion according to his own knowledge and approach. Consequently, there is a clear division in Muslims in prayer, rituals and beliefs. Thus, every sect is following its own version of the right path. Therefore, Allah has instructed to find a perfect Saint or perfect spiritual guide accomplished in invocation.
Perfect Spiritual Guide unites the Umma
Allah says in the Holy Quran:
وَ اعۡتَصِمُوا بِحَبۡلِ اللّٰہِ جَمِیۡعًا وَّلَا تَفَرَّقُوۡا ۔
Meaning: “Hold unto the single rope of Allah and do not make sections among yourself”. (Aal-Imran-103)
Most importantly, religious scholars are themselves divided into sections, how they can unite people. On the other hand, the spiritual guides are the spiritual successors of the Holy Prophet. Moreover, they are the custodians of Faqr, which is real legacy of the Prophet. Hence, they are on the right path (Sirat-e-Mustqeem).
A Perfect Spiritual Guide always remain in the World
They are always present in this world to guide the seekers towards Allah. Therefore, Allah has assigned them the duty to invite people towards gnosis and Divine presence. Furthermore, they always remain in this world.
Reason behind Misguided people
There are people who do not believe in the true spiritual guides due to fraudulent and fake spiritual guide. In fact, they their own mal intentions have misguided them.
Promise of Allah for His Seekers
Conversely, those who sincerely seek Allah only, are never deceived. As Allah has Himself promised to guide His true seekers. In the Holy Quran Allah promises:
وَ الَّذِیۡنَ جَاہَدُوۡا فِیۡنَا لَنَہۡدِیَنَّہُمۡ سُبُلَنَا ؕ وَ اِنَّ اللّٰہَ لَمَعَ الۡمُحۡسِنِیۡنَ
Meaning: And those, who strive hard (and fight their innerself) for my closeness, I certainly guide them in my way. And, verily Allah blesses the men of spiritual excellence with His companionship. (Al-Ankabut-69)
Allah never goes against His promise. Resultantly, seekers of worldly treasures, wealth, respect and power gets fake spiritual guide. Similarly, seekers of heaven and its pleasures would get a guide according to their desires. However, seekers of closeness and vision of Allah gets guidance from Allah Himself. Therefore, Allah guides them towards Murshid Kamil (the perfect spiritual guide). Such guide purifies and cleans the esoteric self (batin) and the soul of the seekers.
Thus, he purifies them according to the Sunna of our Holy Prophet as mentioned in the Holy Quran.
Sunna of Prophet Mohammad
ہُوَ الَّذِیۡ بَعَثَ فِی الۡاُمِّیّٖنَ رَسُوۡلًا مِّنۡہُمۡ یَتۡلُوۡا عَلَیۡہِمۡ اٰیٰتِہٖ وَ یُزَکِّیۡہِمۡ وَ یُعَلِّمُہُمُ الۡکِتٰبَ وَ الۡحِکۡمَۃَ ٭
Meaning: He (Allah) is the one, who sent a (glorious) Messenger (sall’Allahu alayhi wa’alihi wasallam) among the ignorant people from among themselves. (Messenger) recites to them His revelations, purifies (their soul) and teaches them the book (the true meaning of the Quran) and wisdom. (Al-Jumu’h-2)
Spiritual Guide follows the Sunna
Similarly, the spiritual guide cures the soul from vanity, lust, greed, wile, malice, haughtiness, and arrogance. Therefore, he follows the Sunna (Sunnat). In short, he cures souls of seeker from all inward diseases. Then, by constant invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, he purifies the soul of seeker. Ultimately, by the beneficence of spiritual guide, the soul of a seeker reaches at the station of Divine soul. Only the Divine soul (Ruh-e-Qudsi) can have gnosis and vision of Allah. This is the purest soul, which is present in a person’s body at the time of his birth. Allah said about this soul:
لَقَدۡ خَلَقۡنَا الۡاِنۡسَانَ فِیۡۤ اَحۡسَنِ تَقۡوِیۡمٍ ۫
Meaning: Indeed, we have created man in the best constitution. (At-Tin-4)
Perfect Spiritual Guide Purifies the Soul
However, after coming to this world, this pure soul entangles in worldly desires and pleasures. Thus, suffers from the intrinsic diseases. Man is so involved in material world that he completely ignores the soul. Thence, soul gradually becomes weak and dejected and loses its purity.
For sanctification of soul, the spiritual guide also unfolds before seeker the reality of this mortal and deceitful world. When soul tastes the pleasures of Divine closeness and vision, consequently all pleasures of the material world lose charm. Hence, the seeker starts struggling for closeness of Allah, instead of worldly pleasures. Resultantly, lust of wealth eliminates from his inward. Moreover, he considers every materialistic thing meaningless in front of Allah’s will.
To please Allah, he becomes humble and submissive. Divine love grants him salvation from worldly desires. In this way, Divine love saves him from slavery of everyone other than Allah. He does not expect anything from anyone except Allah. Rather, his submissiveness and trust upon Allah make him contented and happy in all situation. Therefore, he gets rid of lust and greed as well as from the fear of all others except Allah. Therefore, no one can force him to do wrong. Moreover, he finds that no post or status is better than being close to Allah. So he never does anything wrong to get material wealth, position, respects or worldly glory.
Furthermore, he becomes aware of the fact that Allah never blesses a soul having greed, vanity, lust, malice, jealousy etc. Resultantly, he becomes honest in his behaviours with others. Therefore, he never lets any vicious thoughts about others to overcome his mind and soul. In short, by beneficence of spiritual guide, he sanctifies him esoterically as well as exoterically.
Fear of Allah
After having gnosis, he knows by truth of certainty that Allah is always with him. Hence, Allah is watching his every step. In this way, fear of Allah stops him from committing any sin. As Allah says:
اِنَّمَا یَخۡشَی اللّٰہَ مِنۡ عِبَادِہِ الۡعُلَمٰٓؤُا
Meaning: So only, those of His servants who have knowledge (of gnosis) fear Him. (Al-Fatir-28)
In this verse, ‘knowledge’ refers to gnosis not the worldly knowledge. Moreover, this knowledge comes with invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. But it is compulsory to invocate and contemplate Ism-e-Allah Zaat under the guidance of a Kamil Murshid (Pir-e-Kamil).
Teachings of Sultan Bahoo about
The Perfect Spiritual Guide
In his book, Ain-ul-Faqr Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo says:
Perfect Spiritual Guide is like a Philosopher Stone
- One must know that who is the perfect spiritual guide or Murshid Kamil? What qualities and attributes does he possess? How does he submerge the seeker in the Divine Oneness and bless him with presence of Mohammadan Assembly (Majlis-e-Mohammadi) ? What can be acquired from the Murshid and what is his own status and rank?
In fact, Murshid possesses Divine powers, as he is the Fakir who is annihilated and immortal with Allah. In addition, spiritual guide is the giver of life (to the soul) and death (to the nafs). Moreover, he is indifferent to all the needs. He is like a philosopher stone and like a touchstone. Furthermore, his glance is beneficent like the sun, which changes all the bad qualities of the seeker into good one. He is like a dyer (who changes the inward colour of seeker by diverting his attention from worldliness to Allah). Murshid is a well-informed. Therefore, he is aware of all the qualities of a seeker. He is well informed just like a betel leaf chooser is aware of the qualities of betel leaves.
آہن کہ بپارس آشنا شد
فی الحال بصورتِ طلا شد
Meaning: The iron, which touches philosopher stone, at once turns into gold. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Die before Death ( مُوۡ تُوۡ ا قَبۡلَ اَنۡ تَمُوۡتُوۡا )
In fact, spiritual guide is virtuous like Prophet Mohammad. Moreover, he is more kind than one’s parents are. He is the great leader and guide on the way to Allah. Furthermore, he is bestower of jewels just like a mine of diamonds and gems. A wave of munificence like an ocean filled with pearls. He is a patron for every destination like a key for every lock. Moreover, he is indifferent to worldly wealth and free of all greed.
Therefore, he loves the seekers of Allah more than his own life. In fact, spiritual guide is the Dervish having none of material luxuries. Moreover, he is like a corpse laver. He searches a seeker whose nafs is dead and who wishes to reach the stage of meaning: “Death before dying”. Here, his soul becomes alive and material body dies. Only, such a true seeker can bear the hardships on the way of Faqr. While, the disobedient seekers are stubborn and follow their own will.
Spiritual Guide is like a Potter
In fact, spiritual guide is like a potter who makes pots out of earth. Therefore, the earth does not dare to object before the potter in whichever way he holds or moulds it.
گل را چہ مجال است کہ گوید بکلال
از بہر چہ سازی و چرا می شکنی
Meaning: How can the earth dare to ask the potter what is he doing and making out of it?
The spiritual guide must be the knower of Allah. Therefore, the seeker should have complete trust upon him. In fact, spiritual guide is the real companion of the seeker, as Holy Prophet said:
اَلرَّفِیْقُ ثُمَّ الطَّرِیْقُ
Meaning: First, find a companion, and then set on the journey.
باھُو مرشدانِ این زمانہ زر بگیر
ہر کہ نظرش زر کند آن بینظیر
Meaning: O’ Bahoo! The spiritual guides of this age want to grab more and more wealth. The spiritual guide whose glance can turn soil into gold is rare. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Spiritual Guide is like a Shady Tree
- True spiritual guide is like a shady tree. Therefore, he endures the severity of weathers himself and provides shade and comfort to those sitting under it. The spiritual should be against the (attractions of) world and the perfect follower of religion. While, the seeker should trust him and should not hesitate to sacrifice wealth and life for his spiritual guide. Moreover, spiritual guide should be like the Messenger of Allah. Whereas, the seeker should be like a Friend of Allah, otherwise they are cursed. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Mediation is better than Excellence
- Mediation (through the Murshid) is better than excellence gained by knowledge. While committing sin, knowledge or excellence cannot stop a person but mediation (Murshid) can. For example, Prophet Yousaf (Joseph) got salvation from the evil of Zulaikha due to the mediation [of Prophet Yaqoob (Jacob)]. The Holy Prophet said:
اَلشَّیْخُ فِیْ قَوْمِہٖ کَنَبِیٍّ فِیْ اُمَّتِہٖ
Meaning: A Shaikh among his devotees is like a Prophet among his umma. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Types of Spiritual Guides
- There are three types of Murshids;
Murshid-e-Dunya (Guide of material world)
Murshid-e-Uqba (Guide of the world hereafter)
Murshid Kamil (the perfect spiritual guide)
Guide of material world seeks only materialistic wealth, respect, fame, and inclination from people. Even, he eats the bones of his disciples because of his greed. Moreover, he makes monasteries. In fact, he himself is the fond of travelling in the world and sky. Further, he seeks closeness of the rulers and struggles only to possess magical powers. Such spiritual guide and his disciples are eunuch (she male). Guide for hereafter is a pious having exoteric knowledge of religion. Such Murshid fears from hell. Therefore, he prays just in the lust of heaven. Such guide as well as his devotees are female.
Murshid Kamil Akmal is a knower of Allah, submerged in Oneness of Allah, and blessed with Divine presence. Moreover, he is indifferent to both the worlds and remains engrossed in Allah. For him everything except Allah is lust. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Spiritual Guide gives Life to Inward and Death to Innerself
- Who is a Murshid? One who can give life to the inward and death to the innerself. When such a spiritual guide becomes angry upon disobedient disciple, he gives life to nafs of disciple. Moreover, he gives death to his inward by his wrath. Spiritual guide accomplished in Faqr forbids everything upon himself except Allah. He is an eternal pilgrim upon whom everything is unveiled. Only such a perfect spiritual guide is successful. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Lesson for Seekers in the Incident of Prophet Moses and Khidr
- Even if he apparently seems to be committing a sin, he is actually doing a virtuous deed inwardly. As the incident of Prophet Moses and Khidr narrated by Quran in surah Al-Kahf. Khidr made a hole in the boat of a poor man, reconstructed a wall and killed a boy. When Prophet Moses objected upon his actions, he said, as narrated in the Holy Quran:
قَالَ ہٰذَا فِرَاقُ بَیۡنِیۡ وَ بَیۡنِکَ ۚ سَاُنَبِّئُکَ بِتَاۡوِیۡلِ مَا لَمۡ تَسۡتَطِعۡ عَّلَیۡہِ صَبۡرًا
Meaning: (Khidr) said, “This is the parting (time) between me and you. Now I impart to you the truth of the matters about which you have not been able to keep patience”. (Al-Kahf-78)
In fact, Prophet Moses had only the exoteric knowledge while Khidr had the esoteric knowledge. So, the scholars of exoteric knowledge and the disciples are like Prophet Moses while the Fakirs are like Khidr. That is why the Fakirs often commit acts like Khidr. Murshid is like a physician and the disciple is like a patient. When a physician treats a patient, he gives him bitter and sweet medicines. The patient must take those medicines so that he is cured and healthy. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
What are the signs of a true perfect spiritual guide? Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo says:
Perfect Spiritual Guide Blesses Seeker with Ism-e-Allah Zaat
- A perfect spiritual guide blesses the seeker with Ism-e-Allah Zaat on the very first day. Moreover, he asks him to write it on his inward and engrave it on his soul. When seeker carves it by contemplation, Murshid asks the seeker by his Divine attention to observe this Ism-e-Allah Zaat. When seeker looks at it, it starts glowing like sun immediately, by the Divine light. (Nur-ul-Huda)
- Perfect spiritual guide blesses the seeker with invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat as well as its contemplation. The spiritual guide who does not give Ism-e-Allah Zaat to the seeker is not a true Murshid. (Nur-ul-Huda)
Spiritual Glance of Murshid Removes all Veils
- You must know that there are neither any mountains or walls nor a long distance between Allah and His slave. Rather, there is only a thin veil of innerself. However, Murshid conversant with Divine secret can easily remove it by contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and spiritual glance. If you come, you will find the doors open for you and if you do not, then Allah needs none. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Murshid is Divine Favour
- Spiritual guide knows every waystation of the inward way. Moreover, he has the solution of every problem. In fact, spiritual guide is another name for the Divine favour. Undoubtedly, without the Divine favour every remains unaccomplished. Moreover, Murshid is like a vigilant and skilled captain of the ship. Moreover, like captain he is aware of all the hazards of the way and knows all the solutions. Certainly, without the captain, the ship would surely sink. For a seeker, perfect Murshid himself is the ship as well as the captain. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
A way to Find Union with Allah
- The Divine ocean of Oneness of Allah is present in the inward of believer (Mumin). Whosoever wants to gain the Truth and have union with Allah, must first find a perfect Murshid. He is the one who is actually the possessor of all the esoteric treasures. By the efficacy of invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, the existence of perfect Fakir becomes light. Therefore, whoever has esoteric treasures does not remain deprived of the vision and closeness of Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Spiritual Guide is aware of all the states of Seekers
- Know that true spiritual guide is completely aware of all the states, words, deeds and acts of seeker. Moreover, he knows the level of gnosis and closeness to Allah, thoughts, arguments, considerations and waham of the seeker. Moreover, spiritual guide should be so much vigilant that he ever keeps his hold upon the seeker to the extent that the seeker speaks his words and breathes with his breath. Such a spiritual guide has a thriving inward and his seekers find him omnipresent, inwardly as well as outwardly, by the power of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and keep perfect faith in him. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Spiritual Guide discloses the Reality of World
- Perfect spiritual guide bestows the gnosis and vision of Allah upon seeker by contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Moreover, he shows him the reality of this carrion world. In this way, he shows the reality of disgusted world to seeker. Then, seeker repents thousand times. Perfect spiritual guide is the one who unveils Divine vision through contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Then, he returns to Ism-e-Allah Zaat. As no status, from eternal beginning (Azal) till eternal end (Abad), is out of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and never will be. (Nur-ul-Huda)
A Glance of Spiritual Guide is better than hundred years of devotions
- Likewise, no matter one spends his whole life in mystic struggles. Moreover, he keeps standing on one leg for hundred and thirty years as a hard devotion. Even then, he can never know anything about the real mysticism, gnosis, vision, annihilation and immortality. Therefore, this is not possible without the favour of the perfect Murshid. However, single spiritual glance of the perfect Murshid is better than hundreds of years of devotion (Ameer-ul-Kaunain):
عارف کامل قادری بہر قدرتے قادر و بہر مقام حاضر
Meaning: Know! Perfect knower of Allah of Qadri order is Omnipotent and Omnipresent. (Risala Roohi Sharif)
Categories of Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Guides
There are two kinds of Sarwari Qadri spiritual guide:
Man of Recital (Sahib-e-Ism)
He possesses only the invocation. Therefore, he holds the status of common creation. These are just Khalifahs (spiritual successors). Even, their disciples spend all their life in carving the name of Allah on inward. But, they never find Vision of Allah.
Man of Divine Essence (Sahib-e-Musamma)
He is the possessor of the Essence (Zaat) and the personal Name of Allah along with all of His attributes. Man of Divine Essence is Fakir who is annihilated and immortal with Allah. In addition, he holds the status of Universal Divine man (Insan-e-Kamil). Moreover, he is the custodian of the Trust of Allah. Therefore, he is the supreme and the perfect spiritual guide who possesses the Light of guidance. Moreover, his disciples get blessing of contemplation of his sacred face through Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Sultan-ul-Arifeen says about such Murshid that:
- Annihilated and immortal with Allah is the one who is annihilated in Prophet Mohammad (Fana-Fi-Rasool), Faqr and Hoo. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Sultan-ul-Arifeen explains the difference between the Sahib-e-Ism and Sahib-e-Musamma Murshid in his book Ain-ul-Faqr:
- Man of recital holds the status of general creation. While man of Divine Essence is above the level of creation, i.e. he holds the status of non-creation. Therefore, invocation is forbidden for the him. As his inward and outward are completely annihilated and always submerged in the Divine Essence. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
مسمّٰی آں کہ باشد لازوالی
نہ آں جا ذکر و فکر نہ وصالی
بود غرقش بہ وحدت عین دانی
فنافی اللہ شود سِّرِ نہانی
Meaning: The status of man of Divine Essence is eternal, where there is no need for invocation, meditation or union. As, he is already one with Allah. When a seeker reaches here, he annihilates in Allah and the secret is unveiled upon him. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Perfect Spiritual Guide purifies like a Washer man
In his Punjabi verses, Sultan-ul-Arifeen rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
کامل مرشد ایسا ہووے ‘ جیہڑا دھوبی وانگوں چھٹے ھُو
نال نگاہ دے پاک کریندا، وِچ سجی صبون نہ گھتے ھُو
میلیاں نوں کردیندا چِٹا‘ وِچ ذرّہ میل نہ رَکھے ھُو
ایسامرشد ہو وے باھوؒ ‘ جیہڑا لوں لوں دے وچ وَسّے ھُو
Meaning: Perfect spiritual guide should cleanse (the soul of a seeker) like a washer man washes clothes. Although, he does not indulge his disciples in lengthy prayers or hard mystic exercises. Rather, he purifies the soul of the seeker with his spiritual glance and Ism-e-Allah Zaat. In this way, he leaves no filth or impurity of worldly desires and intrinsic diseases inside the seeker. Thus, he makes the soul of the seeker pure enough to love only Allah and to beloved by Allah. O Bahoo! Such a Murshid is alive in the bones and flesh rather every cell of the seeker. (Abyat-e-Bahoo Kamil)
Spiritual Guide is like A Goldsmith
مرشد وانگ سنارے ہووے‘ جیہڑا گھت کٹھالی گالے ھُو
پا کٹھالی باہر کڈھے‘ بندے گھڑے یا والے ھُو
Meaning: Spiritual guide is like a goldsmith who puts the gold in kiln to purify it. Thus, makes it lustrous and then makes beautiful jewellery, of different designs. Similarly, a Kamil Murshid puts the devotee in a kiln of passionate love of Allah. Therefore, he burns all his worldly desires by the fire of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Resultantly, there remains nothing except the desire of closeness of Allah. Then, he prepares him in such a way that is desirable and ultimately acceptable by Allah. (Abyat-e-Bahoo Kamil)
Sultan Bahoo’s Prayer for Murshid’s Vision
ایہہ تن میرا چشماں ہووے‘ تے میں مرشد ویکھ نہ رَجّاں ھُو
ُلوں لوں دے مُڈ لکھ لکھ چشماں‘ ہِک کھولاں تے ہِک کَجّاں ھُو
اِتنا ڈِٹھیاں صبر ناں آوے‘ میں ہور کِتے وَل بھَجّاں ھُو
مرشد دا دیدار ہے باھوؒ ‘ مینوں لکھ کروڑاں حجّاں ھُو
Meaning: Sultan Bahoo rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh expresses love for his Murshid. He prays that may Allah convert all my body into eyes. So that, he always have the vision of his Murshid with utmost focus. Rather he prays he may have lacs of eyes in every cell of body. Therefore, if one of these eyes is closed, he can still see his Murshid with other eyes. He is so anxious that even then, he is not satiated and want more of his glorious vision. As the vision of Murshid is equal to lacs and crores of Hajj for him. (Abyat-e-Bahoo Kamil)
An easy way to Find Allah
جَل جلیندیاں جنگل بھوندیاں، میری ہِکا گل نہ پکی ھُو
چِلّے چَلیٔے مکّے حج گزاریاں، میری دِل دی دَوڑ نہ ڈکی ھُو
تریہے روزے پنج نمازاں، ایہہ وِی پڑھ پڑھ تھکّی ھُو
سَبھے مُراداں حاصل ہویاں باھوؒ، جداں مرشد نظر مہر دِی تکی ھُو
Meaning: I wandered in the forests and deserts in search of Allah, performed hard mystic exercises, seclusions and continued recitals. However, all these efforts went vain. Neither thirty fasts nor five daily prayers fulfilled my inward desires. Therefore, I could not find a bit of gnosis. But a single glance of love of my spiritual guide upon me removed all the veils. (Abyat-e-Bahoo Kamil)
Be Aware of Imperfect or false Murshid
Sultan Bahoo warns the seekers of Allah to avoid imperfect Murshid.
According to him, the standard for the seeker is that he wishes only the vision and closeness of Allah.
Signs of Perfect Spiritual Guide
Whereas, the standard for the perfect spiritual guide is that he blesses his seekers with:
- Invocation of sultan of invocations i.e. ‘Hoo’
- Contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and
- Inscribing Allah’s name on the body (mashq murqoom-e-wajudia)
He blesses his seeker with them on the very first day. Thus, takes him to the utmost limits of gnosis.
- One should get religious instruction and persuasion from a perfect spiritual guide only. One should get rid of imperfect and false spiritual guide as soon as possible. How can a person recognize whether the Murshid is perfect or imperfect? The perfect Murshid grants the seeker Ism-e-Allah Zaat and orders him to do mashq murqoom-e-wajudia. Therefore, he takes the seeker to the Divine presence by his spiritual attention. While the imperfect and false Murshid just makes false promises. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
پیر ملیاں جے پیڑ ناں جاوے، اُس نوں پیر کی دَھرناں ھُو
مرشد ملیا ارشاد نہ من نوں، اوہ مرشد کی کرناں ھُو
جس ہادی کولوں ہدایت ناہیں، اوہ ہادی کی پھڑناں ھُو
جسے سَر دِتیاں حق حاصل ہووے باھوؒ، اُس موتوں کی ڈرناں ھُو
Meaning: If your spiritual guide is not able to give relief to your inner pain then such spiritual guide is useless. Therefore, the spiritual guide who cannot change inward state has no spiritual powers. How can he guide you on the way to Allah? So what is the use of having such a spiritual guide? However, if you have Murshid who can take you to Allah then do not hesitate to sacrifice life for him. (Abyat-e-Bahoo Kamil)