Ingredients of Human Being
The esoteric self (Batin) of a person enclosed in physical body is actual living being. Therefore, human being consist of two things:
- Physical body
- Soul or Esoteric Self
Ism-e-Allah Zaat is the food for Soul
In fact, it demands attention just like the physical body. Just as proper food is necessary for physical body, the esoteric self also needs nourishment. In the Holy Quran Allah says:
اَلَا بِذِکۡرِ اللّٰہِ تَطۡمَئِنُّ الۡقُلُوۡبُ
Meaning: know that it is the remembrance of Allah ( اَللّٰہُ Ism-e-Allah Zaat) alone that brings calm to the inwards”. (Ar-Ra’d-28)
It means soul find peace in invocation (zikr) of the personal name of Allah (Ism-e-Allah Zaat). In fact, this is the source of its nourishment and strength.
One cannot find peace without Ism-e-Allah Zaat
On other hand, soul who does not invocate Ism-e-Allah Zaat cannot find spiritual sustenance, as Allah Says:
وَ مَنۡ اَعۡرَضَ عَنۡ ذِکۡرِیۡ فَاِنَّ لَہٗ مَعِیۡشَۃً ضَنۡکًا وَّ نَحۡشُرُہٗ یَوۡمَ الۡقِیٰمَۃِ اَعۡمٰی
Meaning: And whoever turns away from My (Ism-e-Allah Zaat) invocation, his sustenance will become narrow. And I will raise him blind (as well) on the day of Resurrection. (Ta-Ha-124)
Most importantly, the word ( مَعِیۡشَۃً ) does not refer to the material wealth but to the subsistence of the soul. As Allah has given enough material wealth even to non-Muslims, who never invoke Allah’s name. Thus, one suffers loss in this world and the hereafter because of his negligence towards Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Actually, without invocation one’s soul will not get the strength to tear the veils of innerself (nafs). Resultantly, soul does not gain vision (Deedar) and gnosis (Marifat). In the Holy Quran Allah says:
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا لَا تُلۡہِکُمۡ اَمۡوَالُکُمۡ وَ لَاۤ اَوۡلَادُکُمۡ عَنۡ ذِکۡرِ اللّٰہِ ۚ وَ مَنۡ یَّفۡعَلۡ ذٰلِکَ فَاُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡخٰسِرُوۡنَ
Meaning: O Believers! Let not your wealth and your children make you neglectful of invocation of Allah (Ism-e-Allah Zaat). And whoever does so, it is those who are the losers. (Al-Munafiqun-9)
All Creations invoke
All the creatures of Allah are invoking His different attributive names. The Holy Quran says:
تُسَبِّحُ لَہُ السَّمٰوٰتُ السَّبۡعُ وَ الۡاَرۡضُ وَ مَنۡ فِیۡہِنَّ ؕ وَ اِنۡ مِّنۡ شَیۡءٍ اِلَّا یُسَبِّحُ بِحَمۡدِہٖ وَ لٰکِنۡ لَّا تَفۡقَہُوۡنَ تَسۡبِیۡحَہُمۡ
Meaning: The seven heavens and the earth and all that exists in them persistently extol the glory of Allah. And there is not a single object (in the entire universe) but it glorifies Him with His praise. But you can’t identify their glorification. (Bani-Israil-44)
Invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat removes veils
Allah has granted man the invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. In fact, this is the most powerful name of Allah, which possesses powers of all His attributive names. If it is placed on one side of a scale and the whole universe, heaven and the hell on the other. Even then, Ism-e-Allah Zaat will be heavier. Invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat empowers soul with the enlightened insight. Therefore, it fulfils the prerequisite for the Divine vision. By the invocation of it, soul can tear all the veils of innerself to gain union with Allah before death.
First revelation of Quran was about Ism-e-Allah Zaat
Ism-e-Allah Zaat is the basis to gain gnosis of Allah and the reason of man’s creation. That is why, the first revelation from Allah was to invoke Allah’s name (Ism-e-Allah Zaat):
اِقۡرَاۡ بِاسۡمِ رَبِّکَ الَّذِیۡ خَلَقَ۔
Meaning: O’ Beloved (sall’Allahu alayhi wa’alihi wasallam) read with the name of Allah who has created (everything). (Al-Alaq-1)
Allah ordered to invoke Ism-e-Allah Zaat before making Devotions obligatory
Allah ordered the Holy Prophet and his followers to invoke His personal name ( اَللّٰہُ ) before making prayers obligatory. In fact, Allah wanted soul to gain His gnosis of which is the basis and essence of all the prayers. Therefore, after strengthening foundation Allah had made physical prayers obligatory. Surahs like al-Muzzammil, Ta-Ha, al-A’laa, al-Waqi’ah, al-A’raf and al-Kahf revealed in Makkah before implementation of obligatory prayers. In all of them Allah has ordered the Muslims to invoke Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Moreover, Allah has also described the proper way of invocation:
فَسَبِّحْ بِاسْمِ رَبِّکَ الْعَظِیْمِ
Meaning: So (O’ esteemed Beloved!) glorify Allah with (invocation of) his personal name (Ism-e-Allah Zaat), the most Magnificent, with persistence. (Al-Haqqah-52)
فَسَبِّحْ بِاسْمِ رَبِّکَ الْعَظِیْمِ
Meaning: So always glorify Allah with (invocation of) his personal name (Ism-e-Allah Zaat), the most Magnificent. (Al-Waqi’ah- 74, 96)
سَبِّحِ اسۡمَ رَبِّکَ الۡاَعۡلَی
Meaning: Glorify the personal name of your Allah, the most High. (Al-A’laa-1)
وَ اذۡکُرِ اسۡمَ رَبِّکَ وَ تَبَتَّلۡ اِلَیۡہِ تَبۡتِیۡلًا
Meaning: And continue invoking the personal name of your Allah ( اَللّٰہُ ), devoted to Him alone (and) broken away from everyone. (Al-Muzzammil-8)
وَ اَقِمِ الصَّلٰوۃَ لِذِکۡرِیۡ
Meaning: And establish prayers for the sake of my invocation. (TaHa-14)
Allah orders to invoke secretly with breaths
Then, He describes the proper and desired way of invocation.
وَاذْکُرْرَّبَّکَ فِیْ نَفْسِکَ تَضَرُّعًا وَّ خِیْفَۃً وَّ دُوْنَ الْجَھْرِ مِنَ الْقَوْلِ بِالْغُدُوِّ وَالْاٰصَالِ وَلَا تَکُنْ مِّنَ الْغٰفِلِیْنَ
Meaning: And invoke Allah’s personal name with your breath, submissively and secretly and in low tones, morning and evening. And be not among the neglectful. (Al-A’raf-205)
اُدۡعُوۡا رَبَّکُمۡ تَضَرُّعًا وَّ خُفۡیَۃً ؕ اِنَّہٗ لَا یُحِبُّ الۡمُعۡتَدِیۡنَ
Meaning: Invoke your Lord (both) most submissively and quietly. Surely, He does not like the transgressors. (Al-A’raf-55)
To invoke secretly means to invoke without voice i.e. through breathing. In fact, Allah ordered to invoke Ism-e-Allah Zaat with breath because breath has relation soul. As soon as soul enters the body, it starts breathing and when it leaves, it stops. Therefore, invocation through breathing is a source of strength for the soul. The Holy Prophet said that:
اَ لْاَنْفَاسُ مَعْدُوْدَۃٌ وَکُلُّ نَفْسٍ یَّخْرُجُ بِغَیْرِ ذِکْرِاللّٰہِ تَعَالٰی فَھُوَ مَیِّتُ
Meaning: Every person has counted breaths; every breath that leaves the body without invoking Allah’s name is dead.
It means the breath, which comes out with invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, is full of life for soul. Therefore, its strength lies in secret and continuous invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat as Allah says:
فَاِذَا قَضَیۡتُمُ الصَّلٰوۃَ فَاذۡکُرُوا اللّٰہَ قِیٰمًا وَّ قُعُوۡدًا وَّ عَلٰی جُنُوۡبِکُمۡ
Meaning: So, when you have finished your prayers invoke personal name of Allah standing, sitting and lying on your sides. (An-Nisa-103)
In this verse ‘lying on your sides’ refers to ‘sleeping’. How one can invoke while sleeping? The answer is ‘through breath’. People, who consider their physical heart as their soul.
Who is dead and who is alive?
Holy Prophet said;
- The person who invokes Allah’s name ( اَللّٰہُ ) is alive and who does not is dead. (Bukhari, Muslim)
Soul, who invokes Ism-e-Allah Zaat, is alive and dead for those who do not. Now a days, majority of the Muslims do not consider it necessary to invoke Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Rather, they think that mere physical prayers are more than enough to develop their relationship with Allah.
Difference between Heart and Soul
Moreover, those who do, they invoke it loudly with voice but not with inward and soul. Furthermore, some people claim that they invoke Allah’s name with heart. However, for them, heart means the cardiac muscle placed in the left side of the chest. They hold their breath and recite Allah’s name loudly and try to shake this cardiac muscle. When this physical heart starts reciting Allah, they think that their soul has become alive.
In fact, this cardiac muscle is just an organ like the other organs of the body. It is just to pump blood in the body. After the physical death, this heart will also decay, like the other body parts, in the grave. Hence, soul is neither material nor related to this material world, rather, it is related to Allah.
Moreover, these people invoke Allah’s name connecting their heartbeat with breath. They practice it only in fixed timings. In fact, they neither possess spiritual life nor can they reach Allah.
Practice of invocation by physical heart is a deception
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says about such people:
- They misunderstand the heart as the piece of flesh. Therefore, they hold it at the place heart with breath with meditation and claim that this is the invocation of heart. They take this piece of flesh with breath by concentration to the chest. Moreover, they say that this is the sacrificial invocation. Then, they keep this piece of flesh before their eyes by concentration. Then, they claim that they are doing the invocation of Divine light and Divine presence. Similarly, they take it to their brain and say that this is the spiritual and sultan of invocation. All their claims are wrong. In fact, their observations are just misapprehensions and illusions created in their existence by the Satan. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Real heart is not the physical heart whose beat you feel on left side of your chest. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
To invoke by physical heart is the prayer of the physical body just like the other physical prayers. Therefore, it has no connection with spiritual life. In fact, it is the soul, which reaches and recognizes Allah, not the physical body. The invocation by physical heart can provide no energy or power to the soul. As soul is superior to this material body. Rather, exaltation of soul can improve and rectify the physical deeds. Therefore, as invocation by physical heart neither brings a closeness of Allah nor gnosis. The invocation of through breath (Pass-Infass) is the real and truly fruitful.
Teachings of Sultan Bahoo
Which knowledge must be acquired?
خیال خواندن چندیں کتب چرا است ترا
الف بس است اگر فہم ایں ادا است ترا
Meaning: Why the thought of reading too many books has obsessed you! If you understand, then only the knowledge of Alif is enough for you. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Ism-e-Allah Zaat guides the Seeker
اسمِ اللہ راہبر است در ہر مقام
از اسمِ اللہ یافتند فقرش تمام
Meaning: Ism-e-Allah Zaat guides the seekers of Allah at every stage. Thus, it let them reach the extreme stage of Faqr. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Listen! By the invocation of the attributive names of Allah, one can get deception and misled. However, the invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat will never mislead the invocator. The grand personal name of Allah اَللّٰہُ has four letters (according to Arabic alphabets) ا ل ل ہ . By removing ‘ ا ’ (Alif) of اَللّٰہُ (AllaHoo), it becomes لِلّٰہُ (Lillah). Moreover, by detaching first ل (Lam) of لِلّٰہُ (Lillah), it becomes لَہُ (LaHoo). Furthermore, by removing second ل (Lam), it becomes ھُو (Hoo). All four of them are Ism-e-Allah Zaat and the Ism-e-Azam. Allah says in Quran:
اَللّٰہُ لَآ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ھُوْ
Meaning: He is and no one is worthy of worship except ھُو (Hoo). (Al-Baqarah-255)
اَللّٰہُ وَلِیُّ الَّذِیْنَ اٰمَنُوْا یُخْرِجُھُمْ مِّنَ الظُّلُمٰتِ اِلَی النُّوْرِ ۔
Meaning: Allah (Ism-e-Allah Zaat) is the friend of true believers. He brings them out of darkness and takes them towards the Noor (of Allah). (Al-Baqarah-257)
لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ فَاتَّخِذۡہُ وَکِیۡلًا۔
Meaning: No one is worthy of worship except ھُو (Hoo) so make Him your (only) advocate. (Al-Muzzammil-9) (Ain-u-Faqr)
Ism-e-Allah Zaat is a Divine Trust
اسمِ اللہ بس گراں است بس عظیم
ایں حقیقت یافتہ نبیؐ کریم
Meaning: Ism-e-Allah Zaat is a grand and great Trust. Only Prophet Mohammad knows its reality and grandeur. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Reality of Ism-e-Allah Zaat
Ism-e-Allah Zaat is the same as the Self of Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Point to Ponder
Whenever, Allah made some prayer obligatory, he also fixed the number of repetition. But there is no limit to invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Therefore, He wants the Muslims to invocate his personal name while sitting or standing, sleeping or awake. He wants seeker to invocate it even when busy in work or free, ill or healthy, travelling, secretly or openly. Thus, it is an obligation, which one should perform with every breath. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
All four Holy Books are explanation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat
Listen! All the four holy books i.e. Taurah, Gospel, Psalms and Quran are just the explanation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. What is Ism-e-Allah Zaat? In fact Ism-e-Allah Zaat is exactly the Divine Essence. Ism-e-Allah Zaat is incomparable, unparalleled, doubtless and unexemplified. For whom Quran said (O’ beloved! Say unto them Allah is One). Whoever recites and learns Ism-e-Allah Zaat by heart, becomes the beloved of Allah. By the recitation and invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, one gains the inspirational knowledge.
عَلَّمَ اَدَمَ الۡاَسۡمَآءَ کُلَّھَا
Meaning: And (Allah) taught Adam the Divine knowledge of all the beautiful names of Allah. (Al-Baqarah-31)
وَ لَا تَاۡکُلُوۡا مِمَّا لَمۡ یُذۡکَرِ اسۡمُ اللّٰہِ عَلَیۡہِ وَ اِنَّہٗ لَفِسۡقٌ
Meaning: Do not take anything upon which Ism-e-Allah has not been recited, it is verily a sin (to have it). (Al-Inam-121) (Ain-u-Faqr)
Miraj was the benediction of Ism-e-Allah Zaat
By Ism-e-Allah Zaat the Prophet ascend to the station of distance of two bows length (qab qausain). It is higher than the Throne, the Chair, the Pen, the Tablet. Even talking to Allah without any veil in between was only due to the benediction of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. In fact, Ism-e-Allah Zaat is the key to both the worlds. The seven layers of earth and skies are stable without any pillar only because of Ism-e-Allah Zaat.
Moreover, all Prophets got Prophethood and won over the disbelievers only due to the power of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Their slogan was always ‘only Allah is enough for our help’. The medium connecting Allah and His slave is Ism-e-Allah Zaat.
All the Saints whether al-Ghawth or al-Qutb got the invocation, meditation, inspiration and by Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Moreover, they got beneficence of absorption in Divine Oneness, concentration, unveiling and miracles by the grace of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Ism-e-Allah Zaat reveals such inspirational knowledge that one does not need to gain any other knowledge.
ہر کراں بہ اسمِ اللہ شد قرار
ہر چہ باشد غیر اللہ زاں فرار
Meaning: One, who attaches himself with Ism-e-Allah Zaat, gets rid of everything other than Allah. (Ain-u-Faqr)
Ism-e-Allah Zaat has come 4000 times in Quran
- Ism-e-Allah Zaat has come four thousand times in the Holy Quran. By its grace, the whole Quran is Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Perfect and accomplished Murshid is the one who only knows the way of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad and nothing else, while the true seeker is the one who seeks only Allah the exalted and nothing else.
دادہ خود سپہر بستاند
اسم اللہ جاودان ماند
Meaning: Skies and heavens are Allah’s creation. He would fold them (whenever He would want) but Ism-e-Allah Zaat is immortal. Therefore, it will remain forever. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Sultan-ul-Azkar Hoo (Sultan of Invocation i.e. Hoo)
Stages of invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat
The invocation of Ism-e-Allah-Zaat has four stages اَللّٰہُ لِلّٰہُ لَہُ ھُو (Allahoo, Lillah, LaHoo, Hoo). The glorious name اَللّٰہُ has the unique quality. By removing first letter ا, it becomes لِلّٰہُ (Lillah) which means ‘for Allah’. Moreover, it is also name of Allah (Ism-e-Zaat). In the Holy Quran Allah says
لِلّٰہِ مَافِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَمَافِی الْاَرْضِ
Meaning: For Allah is whatever is in the heavens and in the earth.
By removing the first ل (Lam) of لِلّٰہُ (Lillah), it becomes لَہُ (LaHoo) which means” for Him”. It is also name of Allah as Allah says in the Quran:
لَہُ الْمُلْکُ وَلَہُ الْحَمْدُ وَھُوَ عَلٰی کُلِّ شَیْئٍ قَدِیْر
Meaning: For Him is all the kingdom and glory and He has complete command over everything.
Even by removing second ل (Lam), it becomes ھُو (Hoo). Hoo is a pronoun for Allah as is used many times in the Quran:
ھُوَ اللّٰہُ الَّذِی لَآ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ھُو
Meaning: He (اَللّٰہُ ) is Allah; no one is to be worshipped except Hoo
The Mystic, saints and Fakirs have claimed that invocation of Hoo is sultan of invocation (Sultan-ul-Azkar).
Most elevated Invocation of Mystics
Shaikh al-Akbar Mohiyuddin ibn Arabi says in Al-Futuhat al-Makkiyya:
- Hoo is the extreme and the most elevated invocation of Mystics
Sultan Bahoo says:
ذکراں را انتہا ہُو شد تمام
Meaning: The invocation of Hoo is the extreme stage of invokers.
- Due to frequent invocation of Hoo, it dominates and overpowers the being of the invoker. Thus, there remains nothing in him except Hoo. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
باھُو بَا ھُو فنا، بَا ھُو بقا شد
کہ اوّل آخر رازِ ھُو بقا شد
Explanation: Bahoo annihilated in Hoo. Therefore, he has become immortal with Hoo . In fact, he has found the complete secret of Hoo.
ہر کہ ذکرِ ’’ھُو‘‘ باھُو یافتہ
بشنود ’’یاھُو‘‘ از کبوتر فاختہ
Explanation: The person, who gets the invocation of Hoo from Bahoo, hears it from every creature.
Who grants this invocation?
After Sultan Bahoo, his spiritual successors grant this invocation. They are the heirs of the Trust of Allah and adorn the exalted throne of Sarwari Qadri order.
Sultan Bahoo is annihilated and immortal with Hoo
Sultan Bahoo says:
باھُو در ھُو گم شدہ گم نام را کے یافتہ؟
ہم صحبتم با مصطفیؐ در نور فی اللہ ساختہ
Explanation: Bahoo has lost himself in Hoo. How one can find him? I have found eternal presence in the Mohammadan Assembly (Majlis-e-Mohammadi) by annihilating myself in the light.
باھُو از میانِ ھُو چشم می بیند خدا
درمیانِ ھُو ببین وحدت لقا
Explanation: Bahoo observes Allah through the eye of Hoo. O seeker! You must also get the eye of Hoo to observe the Oneness of Allah.
اسمِ اعظم انتہائے با ھُو بود
وردِ باھُو روز و شب ’’یاھُو‘‘ بود
Explanation: There remained no veil before Bahoo and he became one with Hoo by invocation of Hoo morning and evening. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
اسمِ یاھُو گشت باھُو راہ بر
پیشوائے شد محمدؐ معتبر
Meaning: The invocation of یاھُو (Ya Hoo) guided Bahoo and blessed him with the eternal presence of the Mohammadan Assembly.
ابتدا ’’ھُو‘‘ انتہا ’’ھُو‘‘ ہر کہ با ’’ھُو‘‘ می رسد
عارفِ عرفاں شود ہر کہ با ’’ھُو‘‘ ’’ھُو‘‘ شود
Meaning: Hoo is the eternity, Hoo is the extremity. The seeker who reaches Hoo becomes Mystic. By annihilating in Hoo, he himself becomes Hoo. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Sultan Bahoo invokes Hoo
اسمِ ھُو سیف است باھُو برزبان
قتل کن ایں نفس کافر ہر زمان
Meaning: Bahoo continuously invocate of Hoo, which is like a bare sword. Bahoo kills the atheist nafs (innerself) with this sword continuously. If you want to know the secret of Hoo, expel everything from your inward except Allah. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
کسے بس ذکر گوید ھُو ہویدا
وجودش می شود زاں نور پیدا
Explanation: One who invokes Hoo, Hoo manifests in his being. Then, the light (Noor) of Hoo reflects from his whole existence. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- When, one invokes Hoo with inward, he likes nothing except Allah. People think he is ignorant or insane. In fact, he has found presence in the court of Allah Almighty. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Elevated Station of invocation of Fakir
Sultan Bahoo says:
- When a Fakir is invoking Allah, the sky says:
“I wish I was the earth, sitting upon which, the Fakir is invoking Allah.”
While the earth says:
“All praises for Allah, I am so blessed that I am having the pleasure from the invocation of Allah.”
When every cell, hair, flesh, bones, skin, brain, heart, soul i.e. each and every part of the body of the seeker of Allah does the invocation of Ism-e-Allah and Allah responds to his invocation by saying:
Meaning: “I am here My slave”.
The angels feel envious that they had prostrated before Allah all their life but Allah never responded in this way. Then they wish that they were humans. Therefore, O slave of Allah, recognize your importance and be amongst the special ones. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat continues in the body and soul of a Fakir. Even his bones, eyes, skin etc. start invocation. Thus, the whole body of the esoteric invoker turns into Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Such Fakir is an embodiment of powers of Allah. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen blesses his disciples
with last stage of invocation
In the past, the invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat was given by in the above mentioned four stages. These stages were i.e. اَللّٰہُ لِلّٰہُ لَہُ ھُو (Allahoo, Lillah, LaHoo, Hoo). Therefore, it took a lot of time and devotion to attain the final stage of Hoo. Hoo is the actual and very quick medium to reach Allah. So weak disciples usually could not reach the extreme stage Hoo. But now, by the grace of Allah Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman grants invocation of Hoo. Moreover, he grants golden Ism-e-Allah Zaat for contemplation on the first day of oath of allegiance. It is because of his unmatched spiritual powers and infinite beneficence.
of Ism-e-Allah Zaat
In addition to invocation with breathing, contemplation is also compulsory for gaining gnosis of Allah. Eyes and the power of sight are the best source of recognizing anything. Other senses cannot give complete knowledge about things. However, we can identify anything with the help of our sense of sight. Therefore, contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat with sight and invocation of Hoo bless the seeker with vision of Allah and gnosis.
Allah order to Contemplate
Moreover, Allah has ordered to contemplate his name ( اَللّٰہُ ) as well in addition to its invocation:
وَ اذۡکُرِ اسۡمَ رَبِّکَ وَ تَبَتَّلۡ اِلَیۡہِ تَبۡتِیۡلًا
Meaning: Invoke your Allah’s personal name continuously and turn your attention completely to Him, breaking away from everyone else. (Al-Muzzammil-8)
The first part of this verse refers to invocation while the second part refers to contemplation. Therefore, seeker must get his mind and inward free from all the thoughts and concentrate completely on Allah. Only His name should be in inward, mind, soul, breath and in vision also. This is what, contemplation truly means. By carving the Ism-e-Allah Zaat on our inner soul through contemplation and meditation, it leaves its impressions on our inward. Thus, it influences it with its great powers, hence, giving life to the soul. As a result, the internal eye of the soul gets the power of insight (Baseerat) enlightened by the light. Consequently, one can have vision and gnosis of Allah.
Relation between Invocation and Contemplation
Invocation and contemplation are interrelated. They are not separate. Our brain always keeps thinking about one thing or the other. This thinking is an example of invocation. In addition, whatever we are think its picture flashes before our eyes. For example, if we are thinking of our family their faces come before our eyes. If anyone thinks about his house, then its picture comes in his mind. In fact, this is contemplation. These series of invocation and contemplation always continue. That is why, our love with worldly relations and things become stronger as we are always absorbed in them. This relation and attachment is the result of their continuous invocation and contemplation.
Contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat dominates the worldly contemplations
The Mystics and Sufi Saints divert this worldly invocation and contemplation towards spirituality. In this way, they build strong relation with Allah through invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. If we change the direction of invocation and contemplation from material to spirituality, our relation with Allah will strengthen. Just as, a diamond cuts a diamond and water logged crop replenishes by water only. Similarly, invocation that overcomes invocation and contemplation that overcomes contemplation. Only one needs to divert the attention.
Hence, if one invokes and contemplates the Ism-e-Allah Zaat continuously, he starts loving Allah. Resultantly, one gains His closeness and vision.
Effects of Contemplation
Sultan Bahoo explains the effects of contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat on the soul:
- O dear! Physical virtuous deeds cannot purify the inward and soul. In fact, the inner filth remains there unless purified by the burnisher of contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- By the contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, the soul enlivens. It is just as dried out land and plants revitalize by the blessing of rain. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
A way to Vision of Allah
- By the contemplation of the Ism-e-Allah Zaat, a seeker of Divine closeness resides in realm of Divinity. Moreover, he sees the light of the Essence. Then, he starts hating the short lived and fruitless pleasures of both the worlds. Then he always sees Allah everywhere, hears directly from Him. Moreover, he finds Allah’s completely within himself. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
Key of Esoteric self
- Every lock has a key and the key to person’s esoteric self (Batin) is contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. One, who wants to access to the treasure of righteous and virtuous soul, can have through the contemplation Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
Knowledge of Contemplation purifies
- Which is that knowledge, through which a seeker can get rid of his inciting innerself without hard mystic exercises? That knowledge is contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. It blesses the seeker with vision of Allah (Deedar-e-Elahi) and shows him the reality of his innerself. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
Contemplation enlightens Inward
- Contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat creates the light of Vision in the inward. While the excess of prayers, meditations and recitals creates attraction of public. Thus, innerself become ignorant and haughty. . (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
Forgiveness for those who Contemplates Ism-e-Allah Zaat
- On the doomsday, there will accounting of good and bad deeds of people. Allah will forgive the person having engraved Ism-e-Allah Zaat on inward and have invoked Ism-e-Allah sincerely only once in life. No matter if, his sins would be equal to the fourteen layers of the earth and the skies. The angels will put all his sins on one side of the scale and his single good deed of invocation of Ism-e-Allah on the other. Then the side with Ism-e-Allah would be heavier. The angels would surprisingly ask:
O Allah! Which good deed of this person made the side of good deeds of the scale heavier? Allah would say:
“This person is My seeker and used to remain occupied in the invocation of Ism-e-Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Exalted Station of Contemplation
- Learning one law of jurisprudence is better than the reward of one year’s worship. While remaining (contemplating) with Allah for a moment through invocation of breaths is better than the reward of thousand jurisprudence laws. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Contemplation kills inciting innerself
It is so because, contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat kills inciting innerself. Hence, the soul becomes alive and reaches closer to Allah. Finally, seeker gains the blessings of Divine presence. In fact, Allah does not accept any devotion, which lacks presence.
Contemplation blesses Divine Presence
The Holy Prophet said:
لَا صَلٰوۃَاِلَّا بِحُضُوۡرِ الۡقَلۡبِ
Meaning: There is no prayer without presence of inward.
One can gain Divine presence only by purified inward (Qalb-e-Saleem). Actually, purified inward is the one, which has engraved Ism-e-Allah Zaat. On the doomsday, only those will be successful in the court of Allah who have purified inward.
Allah says in Holy Quran:
یَوۡمَ لَا یَنۡفَعُ مَالٌ وَّ لَا بَنُوۡنَ ﴿ۙ۸۸﴾اِلَّا مَنۡ اَتَی اللّٰہَ بِقَلۡبٍ سَلِیۡمٍ ﴿ؕ۸۹
Meaning: The Day, when neither wealth nor sons will profit. But he alone will be successful who appears before Allah with purified inward. (Ash-Shuara-88,89)
Benediction of Contemplation of one breath
Immortal Mystic (Arif Billah) crosses thousands and lacs of spiritual stages only in one breath by contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
How to become beloved of Allah?
- By the contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, the devotee becomes the beloved of Allah. Therefore, he reaches the desirable levels without any struggle. (Shams-ul-Arifeen
- None of his hard work bears fruit without the contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- The contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat becomes the safest refuge for him from the evilness of Satan and his followers forever. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- When the seeker contemplates the Divine name, his inciting innerself dies completely. (Shams-ul-Arifeen
- Get to know that the foundation of purity of existence is to engrave the name of Allah on the inward. (Kaleed-al-Tauheed)
Inscribing Allah’s name on the body
In this practice, one writes Allah’s name through meditation by the index finger on body. Moreover, while doing so, printed Ism-e-Allah Zaat remains in front of eyes. By this daily practice, the soul gets bath in the shower of light. In this way, soul gets purification from all the inner filth. Then it becomes capable seeing Allah. Sultan Bahoo describes the marvellous effects of this exercise in these words:
Status of Shaikh Maroof Karkhi
- Approaching the final and highest stages of creation and finding Divine union is possible only by mashq murqoom-e-wajudia. When a seeker writes name of Allah through meditation, from every letter of اَللّٰہُ a theophany descends upon the seeker. These theophanies takes him to the status of Shaikh Maroof Karkhi. Moreover, the seeker becomes rich (having all wealths and powers) and indifferent to all needs. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
- The practice of inscribing Allah’s name raises him to the level of belovedness. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
A way to Mohammdan Assembly
- When a seeker does mashq murqoom-e-wajudia through meditation, his body converts into light. Resultantly, the seeker becomes free from all sins as a child is free of sins when it is born. By the benevolence of the purity gained by mashq murqoom-e-wajudia, the seeker enters the Mohammadan Assembly as a luminant child. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad
Mohammad is the personal name of the Holy Prophet. Moreover, rest of their names are attributive names. The Ism-e-Mohammad is closest to his holy self and encompasses all his attributes. So, the contemplation of this name is the most effective medium to get closer him. Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad has most pleasant and luminous effects on the inward. Moreover, it makes his spiritual elevation faster and easier. In addition, he finds presence in Mohammadan Assembly, which is the most important inward station before Divine vision. One, who finds presence in the Mohammadan Assembly, accomplishes the true faith.
Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad is essential along with Ism-e-Allah Zaat
Sultan Bahoo has also explained the secrets and effects of its contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad. Furthermore, he declares that only that Murshid is perfect who knows the way of Ism-e-Allah Zaat as well as Ism-e-Mohammad. Moreover, he says that contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad is also necessary in addition to invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. In this way one can have access to vision, union and presence in the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad.
Mohammadan Assembly blesses Vision of Allah
Companions passed all the stages of gnosis and mysticism by his closeness, spiritual attention and by seeing his sacred face. After him, all the seekers find presence in his sacred Assembly through the contemplation of his sacred name. Without his guidance and help no one has ever reached Allah and no one ever will. No soul can become alive and does not have vision of Allah without his approval.
Now the only way to get his benevolence is invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad. This way takes the seeker to spiritual company of Prophet Mohammad and his Companions. When a seeker stays in this Assembly, only then he becomes capable of having gnosis and union of Allah. Finally, he reaches the destination of belovedness.
Ism-e-Allah Zaat converts into Ism-e-Mohammad
Sultan Bahoo says that Ism-e-Mohammad manifested from Ism-e-Allah as light of Mohammad manifested from light of Allah. He says;
- Holy Prophet said:
اَلۡفَقۡرُ فَخۡرِیۡ (Faqr is my pride)
The path of Faqr begins with Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Fakir attains to this status by Ism-e-Allah and Ism-e-Allah is the pride of Holy Prophet. Ism-e-Allah converts into Ism-e-Mohammad as Allah says in a Qudsi Hadith:
اَنَا اَنْتَ وَ اَنْتَ اَنَا
Meaning: “(O Mohammad!) I am you and you are me”.
This shows that these two names are of the same Essence.
So Ism-e-Mohammad has got all the powers and effects of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. However, Ism-e-Allah Zaat has Divine majesty (Jalal) as well as Divine beauty (Jamal). While Ism-e-Mohammad is only Divine beauty. It is absolute bounty and mercy. Therefore, it has more pleasant effects on the esotewric self (Batin) of seeker. By contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad, the seeker becomes completely obedient to sharia. Sultan Bahoo describes the effects and marvels of Ism-e-Mohammad:
Ism-e-Mohammad hides all sins
- When a seeker is absorbed in the contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat or Ism-e-Mohammad or Islamic creed, all his sins hide in the coverlet of light of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
A way to annihilate in Prophet Mohammad
- The person who contemplates Ism-e-Mohammad, he speaks every word absorbed in light of Mohammad. Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad blesses seeker with insight, magnificence, and company of the Prophet, purified inward and straight path. He reaches the stage of annihilation in Prophet Mohammad. Moreover, he becomes one with the body and soul of the Holy Prophet. He listens with his ears, sees with his eyes, speaks with his tongue, and walks with his steps. He wears the coverlet of sharia. Ism-e-Mohammad has four letters () which contains both the worlds. Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad reveals the secrets of both the worlds upon the seeker. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
- When light of Ism-e-Mohammad enters the body of a seeker all his jobs are done by Ism-e-Mohammad. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
Stages of Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad
- There are four stages of contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad, which bless the seeker with four kinds of Divine favour.
- When seeker contemplates Ism-e-Mohammad in his inward, his inward becomes alive. Moreover, inciting innerself becomes dead. At this stage the, Fakir (Faqeer) becomes perfect.
- When seeker enters the (kingdom of) esoteric self through contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad, he finds presence in Mohammadan Assembly. He sees Mohammadan Assembly and recognises it.
- When the seeker absorbs completely in Ism-e-Mohammad, secrets of all the creations and the Creator reveals upon him. Furthermore, Allah forges him, as Allah says:
لِّیَغۡفِرَ لَکَ اللّٰہُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنۡ ذَنۡۢبِکَ وَ مَا تَاَخَّرَ
Meaning: So that Allah may forgive, for your sake (O Mohammad), all the earlier and later sins (of your umma). (Al-Fath-12)
- One who finds presence in the Mohammadan Assembly through contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad and gets approval by the Prophet through the knowledge of Divine observation, achieves all his inward’s desires.
Therefore, the way of contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad blesses the seeker esoteric knowledge of Mohammadan Assembly on the very first day. In fact, esoteric knowledge is the witness of the Essenc. (Kashf-ul-Asrar)
Contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad saves the seeker from the evil tricks of Satan and inciting innerself. It is also a safeguard against ignorance and misbelief.
Ism-e-Mohammad burns the fire which kills inciting innerself
As Sultan Bahoo says:
- Seeker of Allah must get control over his mind and all his thoughts through contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad. In fact, a fire starts burning esoterically by the invocation of his inward and soul. This fire turns him completely against his inciting innerelf (ill commanding self / naf-e-ammarah), Satan and material world. (Mehak-ul-Faqr)
Ism-e-Mohammad is the straight path
- Ism-e-Allah possesses greatest name of Allah and Ism-e-Mohammad has the straight path in it.
- When scholar having esoteric knowledge annihilates in Ism-e-Mohammad, he becomes beloved of Prophet Mohamad and all the Saints (Auliya). (Fazal-ul-Laqa)
- By the contemplation of the Ism-e-Mohammad, one finds the core of esoteric knowledge. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
- When one contemplates the sacred name of Mohammad, he relinquishes everything except Allah. Moreover, he sees Mohammadan Assembly everywhere. He becomes humble and modest lover of the Prophet and beloved of Allah Almighty. (Aqal-e-Baydar)
- When a devotee contemplates the Ism-e-Mohammad, undoubtedly the Prophet and his Companions come to him spiritually. The Holy Prophet says to him:
“Hold my hands”.
The very moment he holds his hands, his inward and soul illuminates by the light of gnosis of Allah. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
Denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad
About the denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad Sultan Bahoo says:
- One who forbids from Ism-e-Allah Zaat and its zikr is either hypocrite and infidel or jealous and arrogant.. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad is another Abu Jahal or Pharoah. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- One who does not believe in Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad is surely a hypocrite. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Ism-e-Azam is the Divine word by saying which with pure and perfect heart all the problems are solved and treasures are gained. It is the most powerful word and according to mystics it must be Ism-e-Allah Zaat because no word can be more powerful than .