The esoteric self (Batin) of a person enclosed in physical body is a living being. It demands attention just like the physical body. Just as proper food is necessary to provide energy to the physical body, this esoteric self (Batin) also needs nourishment which gives it peace, energy and strength. In the Holy Quran Allah says:
اَلَا بِذِکۡرِ اللّٰہِ تَطۡمَئِنُّ الۡقُلُوۡبُ
Meaning: No doubt the peace of heart and soul is in Zikr (invocation) of the Personal Name of Allah ( اَللّٰہُ )”. (Al-Ra’ad-28)
It means man’s heart and soul find peace in Zikr (invocation) of the Personal Name of Allah because this is the source of its nourishment and strength. Soul of the person who avoids Zikr of Allah’s Personal Name does not find spiritual sustenance, as Allah Says:
وَ مَنۡ اَعۡرَضَ عَنۡ ذِکۡرِیۡ فَاِنَّ لَہٗ مَعِیۡشَۃً ضَنۡکًا وَّ نَحۡشُرُہٗ یَوۡمَ الۡقِیٰمَۃِ اَعۡمٰی
Meaning: And whoever turns away from My Zikr, his (spiritual) sustenance will be cut short and I will raise him blind (as well) on the day of Resurrection. (Ta’ha-124)
The word مَعِیۡشَۃً (earning) in this verse does not refer to the material wealth but to the subsistence of the soul, because Allah has given enough material wealth even to non Muslims, who never invoke Allah’s name. Man suffers loss in this world and the hereafter because of his negligence towards Zikr of Allah’s name; because without Zikr his soul will not get the strength to tear the veils of nafs (lower inner self) in order to obtain Allah’s Deedar (Vision) and Marifat (Gnosis). In the Holy Quran Allah says:
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا لَا تُلۡہِکُمۡ اَمۡوَالُکُمۡ وَ لَاۤ اَوۡلَادُکُمۡ عَنۡ ذِکۡرِ اللّٰہِ ۚ وَ مَنۡ یَّفۡعَلۡ ذٰلِکَ فَاُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡخٰسِرُوۡنَ
Meaning: O’ Believers! Let not your wealth and your children make you neglectful of Zikr of Allah, and whoever does so, it is those who are the losers. (Al-Munafiqun-9)
All the creatures of Allah are invoking His different attributive names. The Holy Quran says:
تُسَبِّحُ لَہُ السَّمٰوٰتُ السَّبۡعُ وَ الۡاَرۡضُ وَ مَنۡ فِیۡہِنَّ ؕ وَ اِنۡ مِّنۡ شَیۡءٍ اِلَّا یُسَبِّحُ بِحَمۡدِہٖ وَ لٰکِنۡ لَّا تَفۡقَہُوۡنَ تَسۡبِیۡحَہُمۡ
Meaning: The seven heavens and the earth and all that exists in them persistently extol the Glory of Allah and there is not a single object (in the entire universe) but it glorifies Him with His praise. But you can’t identify their glorification. (Bani-Israel-44)
Zikr Ism-e-Allah Zaat
(Invocation of Personal Name of Allah)
Man has been granted the Zikr-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat (invocation of the Personal Name of Allah) because this is the most powerful name of Allah which possesses powers of all His attributive names. This name is so powerful that if it is placed on one side of a scale and the whole universe, heaven and the hell on the other, then the side heavier is that of the Personal Name of Allah ( اَللّٰہُ ). Zikr-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat empowers soul with the enlightened insight prerequisite for the Deedar (Vision) of Allah. By the Zikr of اَللّٰہُ soul gets so empowered that it can tear all the veils of material body and life itself to attain to the Visal (Union), the Deedar (Vision) and Marifat (Gnosis) of Allah before the physical death.
Since Zikr-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat is the basis to attain to Marifat of Allah, the reason of man’s creation, that is why, the first order and revelation from Allah to Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam was to invoke Allah’s name:
اِقۡرَاۡ بِاسۡمِ رَبِّکَ الَّذِیۡ خَلَقَ۔
Meaning: O’ Beloved (Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam) read with the name of Allah who has created everything. (Al-Alaq-1)
Allah ordered the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and his followers to invoke His Personal Name ( اَللّٰہُ ) before making all the physical prayers obligatory so that their souls obtain enlightened insight to attain Marifat of Allah which is the basis and essence of all the prayers. When this foundation of religion was strengthened, only then physical prayers were made an obligation.
Surah Muzamil, Surah Al-Ala, Surah Waqiah, Surah Al-Airaf, Surah Kahaf, Surah Ta’ha, were revealed in Makkah before obligatory prayers were ordered. In all of them Allah has ordered the Muslims to do Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat ( اَللّٰہُ ) and has also described the proper way of Zikr:
فَسَبِّحْ بِاسْمِ رَبِّکَ الْعَظِیْمِ
Meaning: So (O’ Esteemed Beloved Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam) glorify Allah with (invocation of) his Personal Name ( اَللّٰہُ ), the most Magnificent, with persistence. (Al-Haqa’a-52, Al-Waqia-74, 96)
سَبِّحِ اسۡمَ رَبِّکَ الۡاَعۡلَی
Meaning: Glorify the Personal Name of your Allah, the most High. (Al-A’la-1)
وَ اذۡکُرِ اسۡمَ رَبِّکَ وَ تَبَتَّلۡ اِلَیۡہِ تَبۡتِیۡلًا
Meaning: And continue invoking the Personal Name of your Allah ( اَللّٰہُ ), devoted to Him alone (in your heart and soul) broken away from everyone else. (Muzamil-8)
وَ اَقِمِ الصَّلٰوۃَ لِذِکۡرِیۡ
Meaning: And establish prayers for the sake of my invocation. (Taha-14)
Then, He describes the proper and desired way of invocation.
وَاذْکُرْرَّبَّکَ فِیْ نَفْسِکَ تَضَرُّعًا وَّ خِیْفَۃً وَّ دُوْنَ الْجَھْرِ مِنَ الْقَوْلِ بِالْغُدُوِّ وَالْاٰصَالِ وَلَا تَکُنْ مِّنَ الْغٰفِلِیْنَ
Meaning: And invoke Allah’s Personal Name ( اَللّٰہُ ) with your breath, submissively and secretly and in low tones, morning and evening and be not among the neglectfuls. (Al-Airaf-205)
اُدۡعُوۡا رَبَّکُمۡ تَضَرُّعًا وَّ خُفۡیَۃً ؕ اِنَّہٗ لَا یُحِبُّ الۡمُعۡتَدِیۡنَ
Meaning: Invoke your Allah’s Personal Name ( اَللّٰہُ ) most submissively and secretly, surely He does not like the transgressors. (Al-Airaf-55)
To invoke secretly means to invoke without voice i.e. through breathing. Allah ordered to invoke Ism-e-Allah Zaat ( اَللّٰہُ ) with breath because breath is related to soul. As soon as soul enters the body, it starts breathing and when it leaves, it stops. So, Zikr through breathing is a source of strength for the soul just as eating from mouth is a source to provide energy to the whole body. The Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam said that:
اَ لْاَنْفَاسُ مَعْدُوْدَۃٌ وَکُلُّ نَفْسٍ یَّخْرُجُ بِغَیْرِ ذِکْرِاللّٰہِ تَعَالٰی فَھُوَ مَیِّتُ
Meaning: Every person has counted breaths; every breath which leaves the body without invoking Allah’s Name is lifeless.
It means the breath which comes out with Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat is full of life for soul. Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam said;
- “The person who invokes Allah’s name ( اَللّٰہُ ) is alive (spiritually) and who does not is dead”. (Bukhari – Muslim)
Soul of the person, who invokes Ism-e-Allah Zaat is alive and dead for those who do not. Now a days, majority of the Muslims do not find it necessary to do Zikr of the Magnificent Name ( اَللّٰہُ ) and feel that mere physical prayers are more than enough to develop their relationship with Allah, and those who do, invoke it loudly, only with voice, not with heart and soul. Some people claim that they invoke Allah’s name with heart but for them, heart means the cardiac muscle placed in the left side of the chest. They hold their breath and recite Allah’s Name loudly and try to shake this cardiac muscle. When this physical heart starts reciting “ اَللّٰہُ “, they think that their soul has become alive. This cardiac muscle is just an organ like the other organs of the body, meant to pump blood in the body. After the physical death, this heart will also decay, like the other body parts, in the grave. Soul is neither material nor related to this material world, rather, it is related to Allah and its strength lies in secret and continuous Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat as Allah says:
فَاِذَا قَضَیۡتُمُ الصَّلٰوۃَ فَاذۡکُرُوا اللّٰہَ قِیٰمًا وَّ قُعُوۡدًا وَّ عَلٰی جُنُوۡبِکُمۡ
Meaning: So (O’ Muslims) when you have finished your prayers invoke Personal Name of Allah ( اَللّٰہُ ) (in all postures) standing, sitting and lying on your sides. (Al-Nisa-103).
In this verse “lying on your sides” refers to ‘sleeping’ and while sleeping only through breathing one can invoke. People, who consider their physical heart as their soul and invoke Allah’s Name connecting their heartbeat with breath and do this practice only in fixed timings and not continuously, can neither possess spiritual life nor can they reach near Allah and recognize Him.
Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says about such people:
- How ignorant are those, who have no knowledge about their souls and inner beings. They concentrate upon their muscular organ ‘heart’ while invocation and assume that this is the invocation of their soul. Sometimes, they connect their heart beat with their breath and name it ‘sacrificial invocation’ and sometimes, they imagine this physical heart as their soul during meditation and consider it “invocation of illuminous presence,” and they name this “The Sultani Zikr of the soul”. All these people are wrong. All these considerations are just satanic illusions. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Your heart is just a physical organ beating in the left side of your chest (it is not the soul) this muscular heart is possessed even by non Muslims”. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- I am really amazed by those ignorant and foolish people who loudly invoke “ اَللّٰہُ ” day and night but do not recognize the Real Essence of Allah. Their hearts remains full of vicious desires, so, at last they are retracted.
To invoke by physical heart is the prayer of the physical body just like the other physical prayers and has no connection with spiritual life. It is the soul which reaches and recognizes Allah, not the physical body. The Zikr (invocation) by physical heart can provide no energy or power to the soul, as soul is superior to this material body, although, exaltation of soul can improve and rectify the physical deeds. So, as Zikr by physical heart neither brings a person close to Allah nor helps in Recognition of Allah, it is completely useless. The invocation of Allah’s Personal Name ( اَللّٰہُ ) through Pass-Infass (inhale and exhale of breath) is the real and truly fruitful Zikr which empowers the soul.
Ism-e-Allah Zaat (Personal Name of Allah)
& Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazraz Sakhi Sultan Bahoo
خیال خواندن چندیں کتب چرا است ترا
الف بس است اگر فہم ایں ادا است ترا
Meaning: Why are you so obsessed with reading books? If you are wise then you must know that ا (Alif) i.e. Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat is enough for you, as it will reveal upon you all the secrets of the universe without reading books. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
اسمِ اللہ راہبر است در ہر مقام
از اسمِ اللہ یافتند فقرش تمام
Meaning: (Zikr of) Ism-e-Allah Zaat guides the seekers of Allah at every stage and let them reach the extreme stage of Faqr. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
اسمِ اللہ بس گراں است بس عظیم
ایں حقیقت یافتہ نبیؐ کریم
Meaning: Ism-e-Allah Zaat is a grand and great Trust, its reality and grandeur is known only by Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Ism-e-Allah Zaat is the same as the Self of Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- Whenever, Allah made some prayer obligatory, he also fixed the number of times it should be performed but there is no limit to the Zikr of Allah, i.e. he wants the Muslims to recite his Personal Name ( اَللّٰہُ ), while they are sitting or standing, sleeping or awake, busy in work or free, ill or healthy, travelling or staying, secretly or openly, it is an obligation which should be performed with every breath. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- Listen! all the four holy books The Taurah, The Psalms, The Gospel and the Quran are just the explanation of Ism-e-Allah. What is Ism-e-Allah? Ism-e-Allah is the Divine Self which is doubtlessly beyond time and space and has no example or parallel, for whom it is said قُل ھُوَ اللّٰہُ اَحَدۡ (Oh beloved! Say unto them that Allah is One). The person, whose heart is absorbed in (the Zikr of) Ism-e-Allah, becomes beloved of Allah. By the Zikr of Ism-e-Allah the Divine knowledge is gained about which Allah says عَلَّمَ اَدَمَ الۡاَسۡمَآءَ کُلَّھَا Meaning: And Adam was taught the Divine knowledge of all the beautiful Names of Allah.
مِمَّا لَمۡ یُذۡ کَرِ اسۡمُ اللّٰہِ عَلَیۡہِ وَاِنَّہٗ لَفۡسۡقٌ
Meaning: The thing upon which Ism-e-Allah is recited is never polluted.
Keep in mind that the ascension of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam to Qab Qausain (point of ultimate closeness, Divine Oneness) after passing through Arsh and Kursi (the empyrean and throne of Allah) and Lauh-o-Qalam (the Divine decree, the Tablet and the Supreme Pen) and then talking directly to Allah without any veil was only due to Ism-e-Allah because Ism-e-Allah is the key of both the worlds. The seven layers of earth and skies are stable without any pillar only because of Ism-e-Allah. Every prophet got Prophethood and won over disbelievers only because of Ism-e-Allah. Their slogan was always “only Allah is enough for our help”. The medium connecting Allah and man is Ism-e-Allah. All the saints and Auliya (friends of Allah) whether Ghaus or Qutb, passed the levels of Zikr, Fikr (meditation), Illham (revelation) Gharq-e-Tauheed (absorption in Oneness), Muraqbah (concentration), Kashaf (unveiling), Karamat (miracles) and Ilm-e-Lad’duni (Divine knowledge), only by the grace of Ism-e-Allah. Such Divine knowledge is acquired by Ism-e-Allah that one does not need to get any other knowledge.
ہر کراں بہ اسمِ اللہ شد قرار
ہر چہ باشد غیر اللہ زاں فرار
Meaning: One who found firmness upon Ism-e-Allah got rid of everything except Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- Listen! By the Zikr of Asma-e-Siffat (attributive names of Allah) one can be deceived and misled, but the Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat will never ever mislead the reciter. The grand Personal Name of Allah اَللّٰہُ has four letters ا ل ل ہ . When ‘ ا ‘ of اَللّٰہُ (Allah) is removed, it becomes لِلّٰہُ (Lillahu), when first ل (Lam) of لِلّٰہُ (Lillahu) is removed, it becomes لَہُ (Lahoo) and when second ل (Lam) is removed, it becomes ھُو (Hoo). All four of them are Ism-e-Allah Zaat and اَللّٰہُ لِلّٰہُ لَہُ ھُو are Ism-e-Azam (The greatest name of Allah having all the powers of Allah). Allah says:
اَللّٰہُ لَآ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ھُوْ
Meaning: He is اَللّٰہُ and no one is to be worshiped except ھُو (Hoo).
اَللّٰہُ وَلِیُّ الَّذِیْنَ اٰمَنُوْا یُخْرِجُھُمْ مِّنَ الظُّلُمٰتِ اِلَی النُّوْرِ ۔
Meaning: اَللّٰہُ (Ism-e-Allah Zaat) is the friend of true believers and takes them out of darkness into the resplendent Light of Allah. (Al-Baqara-257)
لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ فَاتَّخِذۡہُ وَکِیۡلًا۔
Meaning: There is no one to be worshipped except ھُو (Hoo), so make Him your advocate only. (Al-Muzammil-9)
The Personal Name اَللّٰہُ has been mentioned four thousand times in the Holy Quran by the grace of which the whole Quran is Ism-e-Allah. Kamil Murshid is the one, who knows the way of Ism-e-Allah and Ism-e-Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and nothing except it, and the true seeker is the one, who desires nothing except Allah.
دادہ خود سپہر بشانہ
اسمِ اللہ جاوداں ماند
Meaning: Skies and Heavens are Allah’s Creation, He would fold them (whenever He wants) but Ism-e-Allah is immortal, it will remain forever. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
(The Crown Invocation Hoo)
The Zikr of Ism-e-Allah-Zaat has four stages اَللّٰہُ لِلّٰہُ لَہُ ھُو (Allahu, Lillah, Lahoo, Hoo). The glorious name اَللّٰہُ (Allahu) has the great quality that if first ‘ ا ‘ of اَللّٰہُ (Allahu) is removed it becomes لِلّٰہ (Lillah) which means “for Allah”, it is also Ism-e-Zaat. In the Holy Quran Allah says
لِلّٰہِ مَافِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَمَافِی الْاَرْضِ
Meaning: For Allah is whatever is in the heavens and in the earth.
If the first ل (Lam) of لِلّٰہ (Lillah) is removed, it becomes لَہُ (Lahoo) which means” for Him”. It is also Ism-e-Zaat as Allah says in the Quran:
لَہُ الْمُلْکُ وَلَہُ الْحَمْدُ وَھُوَ عَلٰی کُلِّ شَیْئٍ قَدِیْر
Meaning: For Him is all the kingdom and glory and He has complete command over everything.
If second ل (Lam) is also removed it becomes ‘ ھُو ‘ (Hoo). ‘ ھُو ‘ (Hoo) is a pronoun for Allah as is used many times in the Quran for Ism-e-Allah:
ھُوَ اللّٰہُ الَّذِی لَآ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ھُو
Meaning: He (ھُو) is Allah, no one is to be worshipped except ھُو (Hoo)
The Mystic Fuqara and Knowers have claimed that Zikr of ھُو (Hoo) is Sultan-ul-Azkar.
- Imam Razi Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
ھُو (Hoo) is Ism-e-Azam.
- Shaikh Akbar Mohyud-din Ibn-e-Arabi Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says in Fatoohat-e-Makiyah (part II):
ھُو (Hoo) is the extreme and the most elevated Zikr of Arifeen.
- Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
ذکراں را انتہا ہُو شد تمام
Meaning: The Zikr of ھُو (Hoo) is the extreme stage Zikr of invokers.
- When, due to frequent Zikr, ھُو (Hoo) dominates and overpowers the being of the reciter of Zikr ‘ ھُو ‘, there remains nothing in him except ھُو (Hoo). (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
باھُوؒ بَا ھُو فنا، بَا ھُو بقا شد
کہ اوّل آخر رازِ ھُو بقا شد
Meaning: Bahoo annihilated in ھُو (Hoo), and has become immortal with Hoo because he has found the complete secret of Hoo.
ہر کہ ذکرِ ’’ھُو‘‘ باھُوؒ یافتہ
بشنود ’’یاھُو‘‘ از کبوتر فاختہ
Meaning: The person, who gets the Zikr of ‘Hoo’ from Bahoo (Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh) hears it from every creature (i.e. he is so absorbed in this Zikr that he hears nothing except it).
After Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh, this Zikr is given by his spiritual successors who are the heirs of the Trust of Allah and adorn the exalted throne of Sarwari Qadri Mashaikh.
باھُو در ھُو گم شدہ گم نام را کے یافتہ؟
ہم صحبتم با مصطفیؐ در نور فی اللہ ساختہ
Meaning: Bahoo has lost himself in Hoo, how could he be found? I have found eternal presence in the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam by annihilating myself in the Light of Allah.
باھُو از میانِ ھُو چشم می بیند خدا
درمیانِ ھُو ببین وحدت لقا
Meaning: Bahoo observes Allah through the eye of Hoo. O’ seeker! You must also get the eye of Hoo to observe the Oneness of Allah.
کسے بس ذکر گوید ھُو ہویدا
وجودش می شود زاں نور پیدا
Meaning: The person who achieves the Zikr of Hoo i.e. his heart is invoking Hoo automatically all the time, his whole body (physically and spiritually) is converted into Noor (Light of Allah).
اسمِ اعظم انتہائے با ھُو بود
وردِ باھُوؒ روز و شب ’’یاھُو‘‘ بود
Meaning: By the Zikr of Hoo, which is the Ism-e-Azam (the Grand Name of Allah which has all His powers) one finds the status of Fana Fillah (annihilation in Allah). That is why Bahoo (Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh) remains busy in the Zikr of ‘Hoo’ day and night.
باھُوؒ ھُو بُرد یا آورد بُرد
ہر کہ بہ آں عین بیند کہ نمرد
Meaning: Bahoo became immortal by being annihilated in ‘Hoo’. This is not strange at all because one, who has the privilege of seeing ‘Hoo’, can never die. (Ain-ul- Faqr)
اسمِ یاھُو گشت باھُوؒ راہ بر
پیشوائے شد محمدؐ معتبر
Meaning: The Zikr of یاھُو (Ya Hoo) guided Bahoo and blessed him with the eternal presence of the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
ابتدا ’’ھُو‘‘ انتہا ’’ھُو‘‘ ہر کہ با ’’ھُو‘‘ می رسد
عارفِ عرفاں شود ہر کہ با ’’ھُو‘‘ ’’ھُو‘‘ شود
Meaning: ‘Hoo’ is the eternity and Hoo is the extremity. One who reaches ‘Hoo’ becomes Arif (knower of Allah who prays Allah while seeing Him). By annihilating in ‘Hoo’, he himself becomes Hoo
اسمِ ھُو سیف است باھُوؒ برزبان
قتل کن ایں نفس کافر ہر زمان
Meaning: Bahoo continuously does the Zikr of Hoo which is like a bare sword. Bahoo kills the atheist nafs (inner self) with this sword continuously. If you want to know the secret of ‘Hoo’, expel everything from your heart except Allah. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- The Zikr of Hoo affects its reciter in such a way that he starts loving Hoo (Allah) extremely and is disgusted by everything except Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- When, one invokes Ism-e-Hoo by heart, he likes nothing except Allah. People think he is ignorant or insane but infact, he has found Divine Presence in the Court of Allah Almighty. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
In the past the Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat was given by Murshid Kamil in the above mentioned four stages i.e. اَللّٰہُ لِلّٰہُ لَہُ ھُو (Allahu, Lillah, Lahoo, Hoo). It took a lot of time and devotion to attain the final stage of Sultan-ul-Azkar ھُو which is the actual and very quick medium to reach closest to Allah and recognize Him, so weak disciples usually could not reach the extreme stage Sultan-ul-Azkar ھُو (Hoo). But now, by the grace of Allah, the Murshid-e-Kamil of Sarwari Qadri order Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman Madzillah-ul-Aqdus is granting the Zikr of Sultan-ul-Azkar ھُو (Hoo) and golden Ism-e-Allah Zaat for Tasawur (contemplation) on the first day of allegiance, because of his unmatched spiritual powers and infinite beneficence.
Tasawur Ism-e-Allah Zaat
(Contemplation of the Personal Name of Allah)
In addition to Zikr (invocation) with breathing, Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah-Zaat اَللّٰہُ (contemplation of the Personal Name of Allah) is also necessary for complete Recognition and Marifat (Gnosis) of Allah. Eyes and the power of sight are the best source of recognizing anything. Other senses cannot give complete knowledge about things but we can identify anything with the help of our sense of sight, so Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat with sight and Zikr of Pass Infass (invocation by inhale and exhale of breathing) are the best and the most supreme source of having blessed by Deedar (Vision) of Allah and His Recognition. In the Holy Quran Allah has ordered to contemplate his name ( اَللّٰہُ ) as well in addition to its invocation:
وَ اذۡکُرِ اسۡمَ رَبِّکَ وَ تَبَتَّلۡ اِلَیۡہِ تَبۡتِیۡلًا
Meaning: Invoke your Allah’s Personal Name continuously and turn your attention completely to Him, breaking away from everyone else. (Al-Muzammil-8)
The first part of this verse refers to Zikr (invocation) and the second part refers to Tasawur (contemplation). “Turn your attention to Him, breaking away from everyone else” means to get your mind and heart free from the thoughts of all the others and concentrate completely on the Name of Allah. Only this name should be in heart, mind, soul, breath and in vision also. This is what, Tasawur (contemplation) truly means. By carving the Personal Name of Allah ( اَللّٰہُ ) on our inner soul through contemplation and meditation, it leaves its impressions on our inner being and influences it with its great powers, hence, giving life to the soul. As a result, the internal eye of the soul gets the power of Baseerat (insight) enlightened by the Light of Allah. This powerful enlightened insight gives soul Deedar-e-Elahi (Vision of Allah) and helps in His Recognition.
Zikr and Tasawur are interrelated. They can never be separated. Our brain always keeps thinking about one thing or the other. This thinking is an example of Zikr (invocation) and whatever, we are thinking its picture flashes before our eyes. If we are thinking of our family their faces come before our eyes and if it is our house then its picture comes in our mind; this is Tasawur (contemplation). This series of Zikr and Tasawur always continue. That is why, our attachment and love with worldly relations and things become stronger as we are always absorbed in their thoughts. This relation and attachment is the result of their continuous Zikr and Tasawur. The mystics and sufi saints divert this worldly Zikr (invocation) and Tasawur (contemplation) towards spirituality in order to build strong relation with Allah through Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. If we change the direction of Zikr and Tasawur from material to spiritual aspect, our relation and love for Allah will strengthen. Just as, a diamond cuts a diamond and water logged crop is replenished by water only, similarly, it is the Zikr that overcomes Zikr and it is the Tasawur that overcomes Tasawur. Only one needs to divert the direction. If we invoke and contemplate the Personal Name of Allah continuously, rather than the thoughts of transitory worldly relations and objects, our love for Him starts developing, our soul gets attracted towards Him, we get closer to Him with every breath and ultimately find His Deedar and Visal, and then appears the entrusted Divine Self from within us.
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh explains the effects of the exercise of Tasawur-Ism-e-Allah Zaat (contemplation of the Personal Name of Allah) on the inner being of a person, he says:
- By the Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat the soul is revived and revitalized just as a dry and barren land becomes alive by the rain. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- By the contemplation of the Personal Name of Allah a seeker of closeness of Allah resides in Lahut la Makan (The world of Divinity beyond time and space) and sees the Light of the Essence. Then, he becomes disgusted by the short lived and fruitless pleasures of both the worlds (as he has got the prefect pleasure of closeness to Allah). Then he always sees Allah everywhere, hears directly from His magnificent Self and finds Allah’s Self completely within himself. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- Every lock has a key and the key to person’s Batin (esoteric self) is Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat (the contemplation of the Personal Name of Allah). One, who wants to get access to the treasure of his righteous and virtuous soul can do this through the contemplation of the Personal Name of ‘Allah’. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- Which is the knowledge, through which a seeker can get rid of his nafs (baser self) without hard mystic exercises? That knowledge is Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat which blesses the seeker with Deedar-e-Elahi (Vision of Allah) and shows him the reality of his nafs. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- The complete knowledge of the Quran and Hadith and all the knowledge that is saved in the Lauh-e-Mehfooz (Gaurded Tablet) and the Arsh and Kursi (Empyrean and throne of Allah), the hidden knowledge of the entire universe and all the hidden secrets of Allah, complete knowledge of the Taurah, Psalms, Gospel and Quran, all the orders of Allah as well as the outward and inward, spiritual and secret affairs of all the creations and the wisdom behind everything that is going on in all the worlds is hidden in Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- The true mystic path, which is free from any fault or retraction is the one through which a seeker could reach such a high spiritual status where he is blessed by the Vision of Allah whenever he wants, and is present in the Assembly of Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and can meet all the prophets and friends of Allah whenever, he wishes. This Divine favour is found only by Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat (Contemplation of Personal Name of Allah). (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- By Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat the Light of Vision is created in the heart. While the excess of prayers, meditations and recitals creates Rajoo’at-e-Khalq (inclination of public towards the devotee) which makes his nafs (baser self) more proud and haughty. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- On the Doomsday, when the virtues and sins of people will be counted, sins of the person on whose heart Ism-e-Allah Zaat will be engraved or who has contemplated Ism-e-Allah Zaat only once with his true heart, will be put on one side of the Divine Balance and Ism-e-Allah Zaat on the other side. The side with Ism-e-Allah Zaat will definitely be heavier than the other side, even if his sins will be equal to the heavens and the earth. The angles will ask Allah surprisingly “which of his virtue has made the side of virtues heavier than the side of sins”? Allah will say: “this person was only my seeker and kept busy in the Zikr and Tasawur of my Personal Name. Oh angels! You are amongst the veiled ones, so you are unaware of the reality of this prayer. This person is my seeker so I am with him and he is with me. You cannot understand this secret”. Seek Allah only, except Allah everything is lust. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- If a person spends all his life in prayers, fasts, zakat, Hajj, recitations and all the other physical prayers or has even become a religious scholar but is stranger to Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, then all his life and prayers are ruined and wasted. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- To learn one law of Islamic Fiqah (jurisprudence) is better than a sincere prayer of one year, while one breath taken in Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat is better than learning thousand Islamic laws. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
It is so because, by Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, nafs-e-ammarah (the commanding inner self) is killed and the soul becomes alive and reaches closer to Allah which results in the Divine Presence of the heart in the court of Allah. All prayers of the person whose heart has found Divine Presence are accepted by Allah because he prays Allah perfectly, forgetting everything except Allah, while the prayers of the person whose heart is deprived of the Divine presence are just superficial because his heart and mind are not attentive towards Allah while prayers, rather they are filled with love of worldly relations and desires of material pleasures.
The Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam says
لَا صَلٰوۃَاِلَّا بِحُضُوۡرِ الۡقَلۡبِ
Meaning: There is no prayer without presence of heart.
Divine presence is gained only by Qalb-e-Saleem (pure and sanctified heart) and Qalb-e-Saleem is the one on which Ism-e-Allah Zaat is engraved. On the Doomsday, only those will be successful in the court of Allah who have Qalb-e-Saleem, as is said in the Holy Quran:
یَوۡمَ لَا یَنۡفَعُ مَالٌ وَّ لَا بَنُوۡنَ ﴿ۙ۸۸﴾اِلَّا مَنۡ اَتَی اللّٰہَ بِقَلۡبٍ سَلِیۡمٍ ﴿ؕ۸۹
Meaning: The Day, when neither wealth nor sons will profit but he alone will be successful who appears before Allah with Qalb-e-Saleem (a pure and protected heart from evil). (Ash-Shuara-88,89)
Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
- When a Fana Fillah Baqa Billah Faqeer (a mystic who has found immortality with Allah by being annihilated in His Self) is busy in Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat, the sky wishes that might Allah had made it earth so that this person sat on it and did Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat, and the earth thanks Allah that it is having the pleasure of Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat. When a reciter with alive heart contemplates Ism-e-Allah Zaat, all his bones and flesh, heart and mind, soul and body are busy in invoking اَللّٰہُ . Allah answers his invocation by (I am here my beloved slave). The angles feel envy and say “we have spent all our lives in prayers and glorification of Allah but Allah has never said to us . We wish we were also human.” O’ man! Recognize yourself. You are special, so attain that special status (by Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat). (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The Zikr of Ism-e-Allah Zaat continues in the body and soul of a Faqeer, so much so that this Zikr is continued in his bones, eyes, skin etc. thus, the whole body of the Qalbi Zakir (reciter of heart) turns into Ism-e-Allah Zaat and such Faqeer is an embodiment of powers of Allah. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
- Arif Billah (knower of Allah) crosses thousands and lacs of spiritual stages only in one breath by Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- The one, who does Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat is beloved of Allah without any hard mystic exercise and lengthy prayer. He has grand status. He has enlightened conscience and is loved by everyone. Due to Tasawur and Tasaruf (power) of Ism-e-Allah Zaat a seeker becomes benevolent for all creatures.(Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- The blackness and rust of sins and filth of misbelief is never removed from the heart without Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat becomes the safest refuge for its possessor against the evil of satan and its disciples. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- Heart is never purified and sanctified by physical prayers unless burnt in the fire of Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Without Zikr of اَللّٰہُ neither the nafs dies nor does heart become alive. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
- The person who wants to keep his nafs obedient, have safety from the accidents of life and evil sins of satan and wishes to get rid of cunning suggestions, evil damages and satanic illusions, even if he wears silk and gold dresses and eats best food, then he must carve Ism-e-Allah Zaat by Tasawur on his heart. His heart will become independent of all worldly wishes and needs and he will undoubtedly find presence in the Assembly of Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. (Kaleed-al-Tauheed)
(Practice of Inscribing Ism-e-Allah Zaat on Body)
In the Mushq Murqoom-e-Wajudia (practice of inscribing Ism-e-Allah Zaat on body) the Personal Name اَللّٰہُ is written through meditation by the index finger on body while keeping the printed Ism-e-Allah Zaat in front of eyes. By this daily practice the soul of the seeker of Allah gets bathed in the shower of Noor of Allah and is thus sanctified and purified of all the inner filth. And then it becomes capable of being presented before Allah. Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh describes the marvellous effects of this exercise in these words:
- Approaching the final, ultimate and the highest stages of all creation and finding Union with Allah is possible only by Mushq Murqoom-e-Wajudia. When a seeker writes name of Allah through meditation (in a special manner) on his body, from every letter of اَللّٰہُ a tajali (Self Disclosure) descends upon the seeker which takes him to the status of Hazrat Ma’aroof Karkhi Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh. The seeker becomes Ghani (having all wealths and powers) and indifferent to all needs. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- Which is the way and knowledge through which a seeker safely reaches closest to Allah without facing any evil from satan, troubles created by nafs or any unfortunate accidents of life which may distract him from his path, and he is blessed with Visal (Divine Union) and Deedar (Vision of Allah) after being annihilated in Allah and immersed in the Divine Light, his Visal is eternal, he leaves verbal discussions about Allah and remains engrossed in the pleasure of Vision of Beauty of Allah. That way and knowledge is of Mushq Marqoom-e-Wajudia through which Ism-e-Allah Zaat اَللّٰہُ envelops the whole body and over comes the heart and soul of the seeker, just as, creeping plants envelop the tree, thus Ism-e-Allah اَللّٰہُ is written on every cell of the body of the seeker. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- When a seeker does Mushq Murqoom-e-Wajudia through meditation, all his body is converted into Noor (Divine Light) and the seeker is freed from all his sins just as a child is free of sins when it is born. By the benevolence of the purity gained by Mushq Murqoom-e-Wajudia, the seeker enters the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam as a Noori (luminant) child, here the Holy Prophet loves and blesses him and takes him to Ahl-e-Bait (family of the Prophet). Hazrat Fatima tuz-Zahra, Hazrat Ayesha and Hazrat Khadija Razi Allah Anhuma takes him as their spiritual infant son and feeds him with Noori milk. He becomes the spiritual child of the Ahl-e-Bait and is named as Hazoori son and entitled as Noori son. Esoterically he is always present in the Sacred Assembly of the Prophet as a Noor Hazoori child but physically he lives and interacts with the people of this world. This is the status of a Kamil Faqeer. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam
(Contemplation of the Sacred Name of Mohammad)
Mohammad is the Personal Name of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, just as (Allah) is the Personal Name of Allah. Rest of their names are attributive names. The Personal Name (Mohammad) is most related to his holy self and encompasses all his attributes. So, the Tasawur of this name is the most effective medium to get closer to his holy self and be blessed with his marvellous bounties. Tasawur Ism-e-Mohammad has most pleasant and luminous effects on the Batin (inward) of the Invoker and makes his spiritual elevation faster and easier, and he finds presence in the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam which is the most important inward station before Deedar-e-Elahi. One, who finds presence in the Assembly of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam accomplishes the true faith.
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh has also explained the secrets and effects of Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad. He declares that only that Murshid is perfect who knows the way of Ism-e-Allah Zaat as well as Ism-e-Mohammad. He says that Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad is also necessary in addition to Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat for a seeker to reach the destination of Deedar-e-Elahi (Vision of Allah), Visal (Union of Allah) and presence in the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
In the life of the Holy Prophet, his sacred companions passed all the stages of Gnosis and Divine Knowledge by having the privilege of his closeness, attention and seeing his sacred face. After him, all the seekers of Divine Knowledge, Visal and closeness of Allah find presence in his sacred Assembly through the contemplation of his sacred name and thus get his benevolence. Without his guidance and help no one has ever reached Allah and no one ever will. Unless his sacred attention is gained, neither, the soul of a seeker becomes alive nor finds Visal (Union of Allah) and Gnosis.
In this age the only way to get his benevolence is Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad which takes the seeker spiritually to his assembly and gives him the honour of having the spiritual company of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and his sacred companions. When a seeker stays in this Assembly with complete devotion, determination and obedience, cutting off from all his material relations and desires, only then he becomes capable of having Gnosis and Union of Allah and reaches the destination of belovedness.
- Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says that Ism-e-Mohammad is created from Ism-e-Allah as Noor-e-Mohammad was created from Noor-e-Elahi. He says;
- The explanation of the saying of Holy Prophet اَلۡفَقۡرُ فَخۡرِیۡ (Faqr is my pride) is that the path of Faqr begins with Ism-e-Allah Zaat i.e. Faqeer attains to this status by Ism-e-Allah and Ism-e-Allah is the pride of Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. Ism-e-Allah converts into Ism-e-Mohammad as Allah says in a Qudsi Hadith meaning: “(O’ Mohammad!) I am you and you are me”. This shows that these two names are of the same Divine Self, that is why he said
اَلۡفَقۡرُ فَخۡرِیۡ وَالۡفَقۡرُ مِنِّی
Meaning: “Faqr is my pride and Faqr is from me”. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
So Ism-e-Mohammad has got all the powers and effects of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, but Ism-e-Allah Zaat has Jalal (Majesty, Wrath) as well as Jamal (Beauty and Benevolence) while Ism-e-Mohammad is only Jamal. It is absolute Rehmat (bounty and mercy), so it has more pleasant effects on the Batin (inward) of seeker. By Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad the seeker becomes completely obedient to the laws of Shariat. Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh describes the effects and marvels of Ism-e-Mohammad:
- When a seeker is absorbed in the Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat or Ism-e-Mohammad or Kalma Tayyaba, all his sins hide in the coverlet of Light of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
- The person who does Tasawur (contemplation) of Ism-e-Mohammad speaks every word absorbed in Noor-e-Mohammadi. Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad affects the seeker in such a ways that he is blessed with lustrous insight, grand magnificence, company of Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, Qulb-e-Saleem (sanctified heart) and sirat-e-mustqeem (the straight path). He (reaches the stage of Fana-Fi-Rasool i.e. annihilation in Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam in such a way that) becomes one with the body and soul of the Holy Prophet. He listens with his ears, sees with his eyes, speaks with his tongue, and walks with his steps. He wears the coverlet of Shariat. Ism-e-Mohammad has four letters () which contains both the worlds. Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad reveals the secrets of both the worlds upon the seeker. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
- When Noor-e-Ism-e-Mohammad (Light of Ism-e-Mohammad) enters the body of a seeker (through Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad), all his jobs are done by (the blessing of) Ism-e-Mohammad. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
- There are four stages of Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad which bless the seeker with four kinds of Divine favour.
- When seeker contemplates Ism-e-Mohammad in his heart, his heart becomes alive and nafs (commanding inner self) is completely dead because this Tasawur dominates (the nafs). At this stage of Fana-Fi-Ism-e-Mohammad the Faqeer (seeker of Allah) becomes perfect.
- When seeker enters the (kingdom of) heart through Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad, he finds presence in the sacred Assembly of Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, sees and recognizes it.
- When the seeker is absorbed completely in Ism-e-Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, secrets of all the creations and the Creator are revealed upon him and is forgiven absolutely, as Allah says;
لِّیَغۡفِرَ لَکَ اللّٰہُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنۡ ذَنۡۢبِکَ وَ مَا تَاَخَّرَ
Meaning: so that Allah may forgive, for your sake (O Mohammad), all the earlier and later sins (of your Ummah). (Al-Fatah-12)
- The Possessor of such Tasawur should be a real man, not a human being having qualities of animals.
- One who finds presence in the sacred Assembly of the Prophet through Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad and is approved by the Prophet through the Knowledge of Divine observation, achieves all his heart’s desires.
The way of Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad blesses the seeker with Divine Knowledge of presence in the Assembly of the Prophet on the very first day, because this Divine knowledge is the witness of the Divine Presence. (Kashaf-ul-Asrar)
Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad saves the seeker from the evil tricks of Satan and nafs and also from ignorance and misbelief as said by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo:
- Seeker of Allah must get control over his mind and all his thoughts through Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad so that such fire is ablazed in his mind by the Zikr of his heart and soul which turns him completely against his nafs, Satan and (lusts of) this material world. (Mehek-ul-Faqr)
- Ism-e-Allah has Ism-e-Azam (the grand name of Allah having all His powers) and Ism-e-Mohammad has the Sirat-e-Mustqeem (the right and straight path to Allah).
- When scholar having Divine knowledge of Allah annihilates in Ism-e-Mohammad, he becomes favourite of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and all the Auliya (friends of Allah). (Fazalul-Laqa)
- By the contemplation of the Sacred Name of Mohammad the reality of Divine knowledge is acquired. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
- When one contemplates the Sacred Name of Mohammad, he relinguishes everything except Allah and sees Majlis-e-Mohammadi (the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam) everywhere. He becomes humble and modest lover of Holy Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and beloved of Allah Almighty. (Aqal-e-Baidar)
- When a devotee contemplates the Sacred Name of Mohammad, no doubt, the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and his sacred companions come to him spiritually. The Holy Prophet says to him “hold my hands”. The very moment he holds the hands of Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, his heart and soul are illuminated by the Light of Gnosis of Allah. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
Denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad
About the denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo says:
- The person, who stops from the way of Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat is either hypocrite and nonbeliever or jealous and arrogant. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad is second Abu Jahal or Pharoah. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- One who does not believe in Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad is surely a hypocrite. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)